Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7-08 or 308

7-08 or 308

Ok heres something to dicuss, and lits not a distance peeing comp. The rules...... only 7-08 and 308 to be discussed. Now that should be simple enough

Ok you have to choose either 7-07 or a 308 only with a 20" barrel. Your objective to shoot a Red stag during the rut at a distance of 250 - 300 yds. This is a hypethetical question but if answered properly should hopefully create a good discussion. Choose your round and demonstate why.....

Nutty

Either - there is no significant difference.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    The op asked to choose just 1 and why...

Nutty

20'' heavy barrel?? .308 using 123gr sako. Plenty power and there's not much bullet drop at 200 yards. My everyday working rifle is a tikka super varmint 308 with the short heavy barrel and a p8. matched up with a 6 x 42 meopta. i use 123gr all year round on fallow reds roe and foxes. I've had absolutely no trouble with reds out to 250 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    There is where I shoot red deer! You go into the local "gun shop" and ask for 308 and the man will ask you what bullet weight you want. Ask for 7-08 and the man will put oil in your car.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    There is where I shoot red deer! You go into the local "gun shop" and ask for 308 and the man will ask you what bullet weight you want. Ask for 7-08 and the man will put oil in your car.
    Wtf

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by ELRIG View Post
    20'' heavy barrel?? .308 using 123gr sako. Plenty power and there's not much bullet drop at 200 yards. My everyday working rifle is a tikka super varmint 308 with the short heavy barrel and a p8. matched up with a 6 x 42 meopta. i use 123gr all year round on fallow reds roe and foxes. I've had absolutely no trouble with reds out to 250 yards.
    Cheers I take it barrel contour has a bearing?

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Wtf

nutty
    Ive just twiged on your reply.

Nutty

aye when you go as short as 20" barrel heat is the factor. On modern rifles longer barrel doesn't always mean more accuracy.
    Last edited by ELRIG; 26-08-2012 at 13:07.

Nuttyspaniel

This is a difficult one to answer TBH as they really are very, very similar performance wise. The 7mm may offer bullets that return a slightly (very little in it) BC but again who cares when shooting at stalking distances. Both can use a very similar range of bullet weights. Both are known for still being able to perform well (as in MV) with relatively short barrels. Both use nice short actions. Both are more than enough for any deer species in the UK. Both are available in just about any popular make and style of rifle although the 7-08 was a special order the last time I bought a Sako, so I went for the 308 as it was sitting in the importers.

If I walked into a shop and had the choice off the shelf in the exact model of rifle I wanted, I honestly could not care if the RFD handed me either one and said, 'there you go mate...'.

I currently use a 308 with 150grn SST and they are one of the most accurate rounds I have ever loaded in any rifle I have owned, including a full custom built stalking rifle in 243AI. The 308 is renowned for not being a fussy chambering to develop loads for, but again I have not heard anything to the contrary re the 7-08 either. My mate uses one for Sika and loves it.

If I could choose one now I may well just opt for the 7-08, but only because I have never owned one and would like to try it. I have owned two 308's and would maybe just like something different next time.

I think caorach makes a very valid point though, and that is the choice is so close that without homeloading the availability of a good choice of ammo may be the only thing that would swing it...