Advice Needed looking at buying my first GSP

crouch valley

Advice needed

I'm looking at buying a GSP this will be my first ever HPR as I normally work spaniels as a keeper. I predominately want this dog for deer work but also dogging in will this work. Are GSP'S ok with other dogs. Any breed problems to look for. I must state that Im in no rush to get one but when I do I want the right one.

Any advice gratefully received.

Dan

Yes they will do dogging in but will tend to go on point, I have three at the present but have had GSPs for almost twenty years. I do everything with them deer work, rough shooting great on woodcock, grouse, and once they get older OK on Pheasant driven days but to many birds for a young dog.

Had one sadly gone now that I took picking up on formal days pheasant ,partridge and grouse

Depends what you want to do with them, but obviously they want to point and thats what they are best at never
had one that liked water so not great for duck flighting have one that will go out but you can see he is not keen.

They are quite slow to mature and certainly I have found you don't get a lot of sense out of them much before 18 months,

Think its best to train them on deer before going on to game,

Not aware of any breed problems twisted stomaches seems to be fairly common though I have never experienced it, and some seem to have skin allergy's

Seem to be OK with other dogs I have a dog that can be a wee bit snappy with another dog if it gets to much in his face , but no worse than any other breed

Very loyal dogs great with kids, and seem to be able to switch between daft pet and serious worker in an instant
and have an uncanny nack of knowing what is required

You can probably see I am sold on them.

Yes they will do dogging in but will tend to go on point, I have three at the present but have had GSPs for almost twenty years. I do everything with them deer work, rough shooting great on woodcock, grouse, and once they get older OK on Pheasant driven days but to many birds for a young dog.

Had one sadly gone now that I took picking up on formal days pheasant ,partridge and grouse

Depends what you want to do with them, but obviously they want to point and thats what they are best at never
had one that liked water so not great for duck flighting have one that will go out but you can see he is not keen.

They are quite slow to mature and certainly I have found you don't get a lot of sense out of them much before 18 months,

Think its best to train them on deer before going on to game,

Not aware of any breed problems twisted stomaches seems to be fairly common though I have never experienced it, and some seem to have skin allergy's

Seem to be OK with other dogs I have a dog that can be a wee bit snappy with another dog if it gets to much in his face , but no worse than any other breed

Very loyal dogs great with kids, and seem to be able to switch between daft pet and serious worker in an instant
and have an uncanny nack of knowing what is required

You can probably see I am sold on them.

Boggie how are they on deer?? Do they have plenty bite?

Nutty

Our GSP bitch has just turned 9 months today and even though she has her vices (pulling like a train on a lead no matter how we have tried to try and correct it so far!) all that is overshadowed by moments of brilliance she has.

Limitless energy and an excellent retriever but I can't imagine she is anyway near taking stalking for a long time. She does jump in the water no bother but isn't so keen to drag herself through blackthorn like a spaniel would.

Perfect house manners and brilliant with my children

Last edited:
Advice needed

I'm looking at buying a GSP this will be my first ever HPR as I normally work spaniels as a keeper. I predominately want this dog for deer work but also dogging in will this work. Are GSP'S ok with other dogs. Any breed problems to look for. I must state that Im in no rush to get one but when I do I want the right one.

Any advice gratefully received.

Dan

hi dan,
try contacting john robson at yorkshire deer stalking he has a superb bitch that is used soley on deer, she is the star of several youtube vids, and last i was talking to him there was talk of a litter from her
kind regards
jimmy

Back