Badger cull

idiots i think as shooting badgers is common in europe and doesnt seem to have affected the population of badgers just controls it realy.i think if these people are that committed to keeping babgers alive they wouldnt mind paying for the vaccination program as they seem to be pytting in tremendous efforts to disrupt trials but as we all know if that was the case these people would be no where to be seen

On what grounds can they make a citizens arrest:cuckoo:.If you are commiting no offence and shooting within the law then surely making a citizens arrest is in fact holding someone against their will.
Idiots
dave

I would do it if asked, just like shooting any 'pest' if that is what they legally become... but I don't think I'd look upon it as much of an achievement though. I have counted as many as a dozen running under a highseat next to a sett before and even when you stumble upon them they are pretty damn fearless.

One thing is for sure, the ones I have seen could be culled easily and humanely.... as for whether they should or not.... probably... but I'm not qualified to back that up as anything other than observation...

The very first line on that site states:

Please help us to stop this cull from becoming a national wildlife disaster.

What these numpties don't realise is that if we do nothing, then we are actually fostering a national wildlife disaster. Badgers kill and eat anything and everything they can overcome, ranging from rare plants to dormice, hedgehogs, skylarks, nightjars, and so on. By not controlling badgers, we are consigning many of our most treasured species to eventual extinction. Bovine TB is merely a side-show in the bigger picture.

Its a PR disaster for all involved, mainly as DEFRA has ballsed it up from the beginning

what is the recommended calibre for a badger?
wouldnt want to take them with a .22 CF.
fecking hard things to stop when they get hit by cars let alone bullets!

WHERE DO I SIGN UP i'll take part in the cull for free.
i'm not nots just think that as they are at the to ofr their food chain without any natural predators they need to be controled by us, and lets face it a hundread years of hunting them failed to wipe them out so what chance has a limited cull got?

what is the recommended calibre for a badger?

Badgers
14.21 The Protection of Badgers Act 1992
makes it a criminal offence to kill or injure
badgers except in limited circumstances
(for example, as a mercy killing, as an
incidental result of a lawful action or under
a licence issued by DEFRA). If badgers are
to be shot, this must be done with a
smooth-bore weapon of not less than 20
bore or a rifle using ammunition having a
muzzle energy of at least 160 foot pounds
and a bullet weighing not less than 38 grains.

Out of curiosity, why does the whole badger argument cause such intense feeling on both sides? From the sidelines, it really looks like neither side has a particularly strong case and the debate is hi-jacked by histrionic extremists. No one really seems to have the first clue about what the disease and population dynamics actually are, and so it all seems to come down to who shouts loudest.

Out of curiosity, why does the whole badger argument cause such intense feeling on both sides? From the sidelines, it really looks like neither side has a particularly strong case and the debate is hi-jacked by histrionic extremists. No one really seems to have the first clue about what the disease and population dynamics actually are, and so it all seems to come down to who shouts loudest.

See post #6...

Badgers

so let me get this straight....

Thats 3 out of 4 rimfire common calibres cleared for Badger!
nuts.
badgers are much harder than foxes.

I do hope whoever is involved does not take that advice literally

Badgers are much harder than foxes.

I'm not so sure.
In the late forties and fifties when Badgers were caught for their skins and to eat my father caught them in snares.
When he had one he would offer it a stick which it immediately bit on to and clamp tight.
Once it had done this he used to whack it on the head with a short club/pitch fork handle and it used to put the badger straight out.
That method also preserved the skin intact which was sold to a company in Bristol.
I caught quite a few as well but used a .22 to put them down and got less for the skin but felt safer !!

I'm not so sure.
In the late forties and fifties when Badgers were caught for their skins and to eat my father caught them in snares.
When he had one he would offer it a stick which it immediately bit on to and clamp tight.
Once it had done this he used to whack it on the head with a short club/pitch fork handle and it used to put the badger straight out.
That method also preserved the skin intact which was sold to a company in Bristol.
I caught quite a few as well but used a .22 to put them down and got less for the skin but felt safer !!

I know an old boy who picks up roadkill badgers and cures the meat to make hams. What method did your folks use to cook it?

We had it roast, boiled and in pies with other meat, probably rabbit.
I didn't get involved in the cooking side of things that was my sisters job, we boys weren't allowed in the kitchen that was womens work !!

Badgers

So my old 19th century 12 bore hammer gun will be OK firing 25gms of number 7 at 35 yards? Quite obviously we have a bunch of berks writing our legislation, so it's little wonder the law is such an ass.......

I didn't get involved in the cooking side of things that was my sisters job, we boys weren't allowed in the kitchen that was womens work !!

Ah - those were the days! :) Hang on - it's still like that in my house (most of the time).

How long have you got? There is a lot known about the disease and epidemiology.

I see it the biggest problems we have are the flawed Krebbs trial (that ignored some basics of badger behaviour) and the badgers public relations department (I blame Wind in the Willows here).

ARCHIVE: Defra, UK - Animal health welfare - TB - Report by the Independent Scientific Review Group on TB in cattle and badgers

Basically badgers excrete the bacteria in their urine, contaminating cattle foodstuffs (cf most mammals where the disease is confined to the lungs and only spread by close intimate contact). You cannot expect to control an infectious disease by ignoring a wildlife reservoir. Just killing badgers won't gain much on its own but in conjunction with other control methods it is vital

Back