Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Sika Stag Whistle Of The Year

First Sika Stag Whistle Of The Year

I was out tonight for a look with a mate. between us we heard 6 different sets of whistles from Sika stags but probably in fact made by 3 or 4 different beasts. I have never heard Sika stags whistle in August before. neither has another mate who has been stalking them for over 30 years.

The weather has cooled a bit but still far from cold. I also found ground ripped up tonight by a stag. So, early start to the rut...

from what your saying it wont be far away as you do know what your talking about Dean

Cool... I hate wishing away summer but I walked outside this morning and it just smelled autumnal. Hoping for lots of whistling in 3/4 weeks time!

Alex,
    What tune do you want, Pirates of Penzance, Yeoman of the guard, I can do them all ?
    Or are you going to stick your head out the window like last year ?
    See you Tuesday, bring plenty of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Alex,
    What tune do you want, Pirates of Penzance, Yeoman of the guard, I can do them all ?
    Or are you going to stick your head out the window like last year ?
    See you Tuesday, bring plenty of ammo.
    LOL!

Thanks Robin, can you whistle Dixie?

Won't see you Tues I'm on the detail for the 3rd!

Alex

I heard my first sika of the year up my way whistling last monday night across the loch on Novar estate. This time last year they were responding/coming into the sceree call which i found pretty early for the north.

ATB wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    I heard my first sika of the year up my way whistling last monday night across the loch on Novar estate. This time last year they were responding/coming into the sceree call which i found pretty early for the north.

ATB wallace
    Jayb mentioned last weekend that someone he knew up north had heard one already as well. Maybe your climate up there brings it on a wee bit earlier than us lowlanders are used to!

Yes that was me that told John. You might be right jamross about them starting earlier with us but the ones i saw were still in full summer coat and not like the one you shot which was jet black already plus we had really hot weather for my whole 2 weeks off. Home next week so i'll see how i get on with the call. Worked well last year

ATB wallace.

Quote Originally Posted by wallace grant View Post
    Yes that was me that told John. You might be right jamross about them starting earlier with us but the ones i saw were still in full summer coat and not like the one you shot which was jet black already plus we had really hot weather for my whole 2 weeks off. Home next week so i'll see how i get on with the call. Worked well last year

ATB wallace.
    How things differ across the country even when chasing the same species!

I never called in one stag last year using the Sceery. First season that has ever happened to me. In the past I have had them charging at me, running away and stopping to the call, even got enough interest from stags in December with the call to get them sticking their heads out for a look (and in turn a shot!). Si I assume it's not my technique! Closest I came last year was a huge stag with a good group of hinds, who was walking off with them as the hinds were a bit spooked. I blew the call and he stopped and looked back for a second or two, but that was it. Last year was a very strange rut in our area, and I heard that from a few guys I know roundabout me as well.

I saw about 60 beasts last night and at least half were out of summer coats.

Temp yeaterday stayed about 14deg and [robably dropped to about 12deg in the evening. My mate was on his ground yesterday that sits about 1000ft and he said that it was a cold day, fleece/jacket weather!
    Last edited by jamross65; 27-08-2012 at 07:30.

Things do seem to be changing don't they. My brain says it should be summer but all other senses are saying different. One of my red stags has been roaring for 2 weeks now; haven't seen any "action" but I seldom do. Plenty of grass about but just started feeding silage this morning to make sure they are on a rising plane of nutrition to optimise conception rates. Getting harder to make any money with all input costs rising rapidly so have to spend less somehow.