Thread: Pigeon shooting gear

Pigeon shooting gear

Hi,Has anyone got some pigeon shooting equipment they want to get moved on? I have just picked up 1200 acres for roe and the place is moving with pigeons, hence want to have a bash at them as soon as harvest starts.Need hide, poles, decoys etc.,Thanks in advance.Bod

the best pigeon shooter I ever met, in fact the best shot I've ever met with both shotgun and rifle, always brought just a pigeon or two from the last shoot, even frozen, and set them out whilst sitting with a wide brimmed hat in grass or behind a dyke, etc. no camo, no nets, no battery operated circular plastic pigeons. he sat them out in front facing into the wind with the wings spread slightly on one and the heads propped up with small sticks.

he shot LOADS and never failed to fill his rucksack...interestingly he always let me have first pick of place/position on the fields, and no matter where I picked, he always had the best place....whether it was luck or he was able to just 'see' the best flight line I don't know, but I have a feeling it had to do with the fact that he never missed, so he could very quickly get a lot of realistic decoys out in front of him, which seemed to work much better than my many plastic one's.

I have since learnt from him and instead of hauling masses of gear, I now go with a roe sack with a couple of old pigeons (or worst case 2 plastics), my trusty stetson, shotgun and dog. My enjoyment of pigeon shooting has sky-rocketed and I've found myself much more inclined to move about if the pigeons are not coming in where I had 'set up' my gear (which is a massive time investment if you have 'all the works'!)..

same with stalking, except I do bring a roe sack as I can't carry two deer at a time otherwise

Thanks for the info PKL, its so easy to get carried away with all the equipment that is on the market, I have found a net and looking for some decks to go with it, just want to keep it simple as you say.

Cheers,

Bod.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    the best pigeon shooter I ever met, in fact the best shot I've ever met with both shotgun and rifle, always brought just a pigeon or two from the last shoot, he shot LOADS and never failed to fill his rucksack..
    His rucksack was already half full with the two he started with With all due respect, yes you will have some days where this approach may work but there are occasions where the new equipment will definately put more birds in the bag. My father and i would shoot a few thousand pigeons a year and sorry but the gun, hat and dog approach would not make the grade.

depends how many you want to shoot of course, last time we were out we adopted this approach and filled the boot of a range rover so high that when we came to the dealer and opened the top half of the rear doors, 50+ pigeons flowed onto the ground - LOL...I think that day we had 481 or so. ahh, a good day it was.. but generally I'm happy to shoot just a good 10-20 over a few hours. I have low expectations ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RPA 6MM BR View Post
    His rucksack was already half full with the two he started with With all due respect, yes you will have some days where this approach may work but there are occasions where the new equipment will definately put more birds in the bag. My father and i would shoot a few thousand pigeons a year and sorry but the gun, hat and dog approach would not make the grade.

Hi Guys,

Forum members have came up with the goods.

Have a net and decoys now, many thanks to the kind members on this forum.

Bod