Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASC - Isle of Arran stalking

BASC - Isle of Arran stalking

Anyone else going for this? Anyone got experience from previous years?

I just applied for the first week on the stags, thought that 360 was a fair price for what was on offer (8 outings). Hotel bills and petrol will bump up the costs but since I normally pay 120 - 150 for a am/pm stalk I though I'd give it a shot.

If I get accepted and anyone else is going that lives on the M5/M6 route PM me. I live Somerset so will probably be passing someone's house on the way north.

some of the lads from york guns go and say they really have a good time.
    shame you are like many of us and have to pay to stalk near home again a symtom if people hold more land tham they can get round.

I'm happy enough to pay for my stalking at the moment ( as long as there's no trophy fees) , I work away from home a lot so couldn't give full atttention to a proper deer management plan. it would be unfair on any land owner to promise them otherwise.

I'd be happy to sign up to a syndicate but reading some of the posts on the site it seems hit and miss as to what you actually get (either excellent stalking or totally ripped off!)

Say hello to York Guns - I can go near to York if needed, I'm from Leeds originally and was thinking of possibly doing a stop over to cut the journey in half on the way North.

Didn't make it to arran this year, due to dates not being confirmed until december for january, but have been twice in the previous years.
    Good weeks bar the weather but thats out of our control. The stalking and terrain is hard going so don't expect an easy week. Those that put the time and effort in get results or at least do see deer. Depending on how you approach it there may be a lot of walking involved.
    Listen to the advise bob and neil give as it will point you in the right direction. Although I have'nt taken a shot both weeks I was there, I would go back.
    A lot of the lads who where there when we were there, were complaining about lack of deer and lack of shooting, but these guys were used to easy roe stalking on farms down south, taking 2-3 deer in a stalk, so obviously a completly different type of stalking. Other factors were late starts etc etc
    The old adage applies you get out of something what you put in.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell
    The old adage applies you get out of something what you put in.
    But only if its there to be got in the first place! Which as far a Arran is concerned is not always the case. I know a few guy with good experience of shooting reds who have been over and won't bother going back.

I suppose it is as always different strokes for different folks.

arran

I was there last year, weather was awful, never seemed to stop raining, make sure you have good waterproofs absolutly essential. The guys who run it are spot on, as were the Stalkers taking part. We had a good week, or at least I did, shot a spiker on the Wednesday evening (Late, just getting into the gloming).Had to leave it on the hill and Bob retrieved it next morning, nothing is too much trouble for them.
    Go with an open mind, and be prepared for putting the hours in.
    If you get dispondent, go for a drive along the String road to see the reds on the wrong side of the road.......
    Its worth the trip just for that.
    regards
    Alan

I've just found out that the farmer who I do bunny control for near Manchester has a brother who has a farm on Arran. I've met him but not really for long enough to "get into his ribs" if you know what I mean
    Does BASC have all the stalking rights there or is some of it estate/farm owned? Do you think a tennant farmer would have the rights to control the deer on the land he leases or would that be up to the Estate?

Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick
    I've just found out that the farmer who I do bunny control for near Manchester has a brother who has a farm on Arran. I've met him but not really for long enough to "get into his ribs" if you know what I mean
    Does BASC have all the stalking rights there or is some of it estate/farm owned? Do you think a tennant farmer would have the rights to control the deer on the land he leases or would that be up to the Estate?
    No BASC don't have all the stalking rights.

There are a number of stalking rights owners on the island. Hence the problems that have been encountered by people taking advantage of the cheap price of the BASC package.

You can only shoot a deer once, you can't repeatedly disturb the same beats day in day out for weeks on end and expect the deer to just hang around, especially as the BASC scheme has massive blocks of clear fell with huge amounts of brash covering the ground, making stalking and extraction a major problem.

There are some who try to claim its all the fault of the guys on the ground not being up to the job or spending the productive times in bed or in the bar. Which is definitely not the case with the guys that I have spoken to.

Still at least the FA must be happy with the situation as all they worry about are the trees and the lack of deer is what they wanted.

I have received the Basc deer section email saying the amounts of weeks available has been cut due to reduced numbers of deer on Arron.

Jonathon

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint
    I have received the Basc deer section email saying the amounts of weeks available has been cut due to reduced numbers of deer on Arron.

Jonathon
    I don't think its reduced numbers on Arron par se just reduced numbers on their bit.