Thread: squirrel gun?

squirrel gun?

Hi folks,

I've just been asked to help get rid of a squirrel infestation in quite a small, publicly accessible garden.

I've done this sort of thing before with an air rifle, but it took a while (often too quick for me).

What would people recommend: stick with air rifle, or try a .410 or similar?

Any good ideas most appreciated.

Traps. Public access and shooting squirrels = trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    Traps. Public access and shooting squirrels = trouble.
    +1 for traps.

I trap greys on my estate & are actually paid a grant by the authorities for doing so between certain times of the year.

We operate 40 traps & that pays nearly 7.5k a year... thats money that can be spent on equipment for controlling foxs/deer etc.

DA
    Last edited by Deer Assassin; 28-08-2012 at 10:06.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

That's very interesting - is that a common arrangement, or just specific to your LA?

Public access not good but that doesn't rule out the .410, traps are great but are time consuming and have to be covered to prevent non target species being caught, birds in particular! Poison between march and November (as I recall) is another option in proper hoppers using warfarin based rodenticide. The shooting and drey poking still looks favourable!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    That's very interesting - is that a common arrangement, or just specific to your LA?
    Mungo - as you are in Scotland, you are eligible for funding so long as you have red squirels present in the area as well.
    You only have to trap 50 days of the year & can claim 185 per trap per annum.

Click on the link below for details.

http://www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/species/S...%202006%20.pdf

http://www.scottishsquirrels.org.uk/our-work/funding/

Cheers

DA
    Last edited by Deer Assassin; 28-08-2012 at 10:08.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

if its a public garden it could be tricky but air rifles and traps work the best

I am local if you need a hand! love a bit of squizzer sport!

Shooting in public places sounds like a recipe for disaster; +1 for traps. And if you have to shoot, take your time and stalk them with an air rifle, a shot right behind the eye everytime; a .410 is going to scare them off and be noisy to the pubic.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by RickoShay; 01-09-2012 at 17:39. Reason: typos
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942