Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 barrel length

30-06 barrel length

I know this subject has been covered in a previous thread for 30-06, an older thread. Just wanted some thoughts on 30-06 barrel lengths as I am having my 6.5 x 55 re-barrelled in 30-06 Ackley ( Krieger match barrel ). I know some folk say 30-06 should be 24 inch or more but due to me being a short arse I have opted for a 22 inch barrel which I think will be 22.5 finished length, could have gone 24 but with a mod it seems to long for me. Just wondering how many of you shoot short 30-06 rifles and how they perform? I know I will probably lose around 40 fps with the 1.5 inch off a normal 24 inch barrel but as it is an Ackely I should be able to gain that speed back plus a wee bit more I believe, as I understand AI will give a wee bit more speed but not alot, though less case trimming I understand?

Cheers

Pete
    Last edited by chickenman; 28-08-2012 at 17:23.

i have a browning xbolt in .30 06, i think the barrel is 21'' not 100% sure it could be 22'', but its still does the job, shot a few big fallow with it last year, stop them on the spot,

dont think the deer notice any difference of the size barrel

my 150gn sp still doing just over 2800fps
    Last edited by AndrewT059; 28-08-2012 at 17:42.

Chickenman,

I have a t3 which I believe is 22.5 inches. It has done everything from 300 yard foxes, to african plains game.

I think you will loose a tad more than 40fps over a 24 inch barrel (but not much); this
    is of course dependant on bullet weight and powder speed. I have a formula for working it out somwhere, I will try and dig it out for you.

Here is how to work it out. Hope his helps.

Topic of the Month

Regards

Mike
    Last edited by YoungGun; 28-08-2012 at 18:08. Reason: to add link!

If you are going for a shorter barrel length, you might be disappointed by the results of using the AI compared to a standard .30-06 chamber. I suppose it will depend on your bullet weight and velocity objectives and the powder you choose, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of going to an AI chamber in less than a 24 or 26in barrel. Interested to hear other opinions though...

[QUOTE=JabaliHunter;430532]If you are going for a shorter barrel length, you might be disappointed by the results of using the AI compared to a standard .30-06 chamber. I suppose it will depend on your bullet weight and velocity objectives and the powder you choose, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle of going to an AI chamber in less than a 24 or 26in barrel. Interested to hear other opinions though...[/QUOT

I understand what your saying and I wont be developing a load that will be done for me of course. As regards the hassle, it isnt the original barrel being re-worked but a new barrel specifically chamber to the 30-06 Ackely, hence the job will be done right. From what I can gather the mistakes are made when guns are re-chambered to Ackley and the person who does it doesnt know exactly what they are doing, which of course can only cause problems... or a new barrel is just screwed on by someone who then wants extra money to 'blue print'. I suppose it is a case of use a decent smith and they actually do most of that work any way as they wouldnt give a rifle back to you without it shooting min 1/2 inch groups after testing. But surely the shorter barrel will 'claw back' the minimal speed loss due to the Ackley improvement, not much I grant you but surely must be more of an advantage than a cut down 30-06? I suppose for my use, which will be for sensible UK deer ranges and plains game ranges I wont even notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGun View Post
    Chickenman,

I have a t3 which I believe is 22.5 inches. It has done everything from 300 yard foxes, to african plains game.

I think you will loose a tad more than 40fps over a 24 inch barrel (but not much); this
    is of course dependant on bullet weight and powder speed. I have a formula for working it out somwhere, I will try and dig it out for you.

Here is how to work it out. Hope his helps.

Topic of the Month

Regards

Mike
    I just got an email back from Krieger, they said 25 ft/ps per inch for 30-06...so would make it a loss of around 38 fps??? ....I shall of course post the speed info when I get the rifle back...which kinda mirrors the info you suplied.
    Last edited by chickenman; 28-08-2012 at 20:36.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    I just got an email back from Krieger, they said 25 ft/ps per inch for 30-06...so would make it a loss of around 38 fps??? ....I shall of course post the speed info when I get the rifle back...which kinda mirrors the info you suplied.
    The "experts" (as in: P.O. Ackley himself, included) say... that the .30-06 doesn't really "improve" much and good loading alone will get you the results. Though, I will defer to Muir's input (please?) as he'll have tried several hundred more .30-06 combos than me.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on. Please let us know

As it happens, I've a .30-06 Sako with a "shortened" Border barrel, 1:10" twist, 4 groove (used to be 26.25" and is now 24", btw lost 40 odd fps in the process) and I'm only 5'9" but it still isn't too long for me... and... If it's "improved" performance you want, I've a 150grain Hornady S.P. (flat base) load for my rifle that is very tight with an M.V. just shy of 3100fps using Vhit N550 or Hodgdon H414 (it can shoot much better with the Vhit though, less than .3 MOA as opposed to about .75 MOA with the H414)... I reckon that's not bad for a sporter weight stalking rifle and 6x42 scope. Having said this, my preferred load now is a 180 grain partition at about 2750 fps M.V.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    The "experts" (as in: P.O. Ackley himself, included) say... that the .30-06 doesn't really "improve" much and good loading alone will get you the results. Though, I will defer to Muir's input (please?) as he'll have tried several hundred more .30-06 combos than me.

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on. Please let us know

As it happens, I've a .30-06 Sako with a "shortened" Border barrel, 1:10" twist, 4 groove (used to be 26.25" and is now 24", btw lost 40 odd fps in the process) and I'm only 5'9" but it still isn't too long for me... and... If it's "improved" performance you want, I've a 150grain Hornady S.P. (flat base) load for my rifle that is very tight with an M.V. just shy of 3100fps using Vhit N550 or Hodgdon H414 (it can shoot much better with the Vhit though, less than .3 MOA as opposed to about .75 MOA with the H414)... I reckon that's not bad for a sporter weight stalking rifle and 6x42 scope. Having said this, my preferred load now is a 180 grain partition at about 2750 fps M.V.

Yes I found the same as you have, not from experience but just looking on the net, very little in gains apparently but less case trimming, I too am 5ft9 and always been put off long barrels, hence why i opted for 22.5, sods law would dictate though that I used a 24 inch rifle the other day and got on fine with it when modded up....Still as said in an earlier post are the deer, pigs or plains game on the other end going to notice, I doubt it )))....not as if I am shooting 800- 1000+ yards...I doubt I will evr shoot 300-400 yards. I will indeed put a few pics of the rifle when finished on here and also some info on how it performs.

I shoot a 30-06 Ackley Imp`. I love it. My Barrel is a 26" Lilja. I am running 175 Bergers at 2975fps using Vit 160.
    I am still using my original Lapua Brass that has been loaded several times (would need to check amount) so i presume it is not a stiff load.
    I will be interested to read how you get on with the short Barrel as the Ackley generally benefits from heavy Bullets and slow powders.
    Enjoy.

Yorkie.

I have a friend in the US, Missouri to be precise , who loves the Ackleys and has a couple of 30-06 AI's and he gets stellar performance for them. On one place on his farm where good deer tend to be found he has a problem neighbour who is anti everything so any deer shot MUST be dropped before they an cross the boundary fence.

One of his 30-06 AI's or the 35 Whelen gets the nod for this high house blind..