Thread: Border Progress

Border Progress

Just thought I would post on the progress of my wee Border Terrier bitch Piper whos picture I posted here a month or so ago. She has now 4.5 months old and lives for deer. )) She has now done 6 what I would call propper blood trails and is doing superb, she has made a fool of me a few times when I have put her on a trail and I thought she had messed it up.....seems I was wrong and I had to learn. I thought she would follow the trail as it was laid but of course she went where the scent was drifting and when she got a strong scent, hell she nearly pulled my arm out of its socket. If I dont use the harness she is lightning fast once she has picked up a scent. Really chuffed with her so far , she is doing 100 yard trails with ease, today she did one and completed it in so fast I was amazed, just shows how good a dogs nose is.

Bet when she hits the scent trail, its like a switch has been thrown and all systems go, aye love the wee borders.

Bod

Quote Originally Posted by BODACH View Post
    Bet when she hits the scent trail, its like a switch has been thrown and all systems go, aye love the wee borders.

Bod
    I was just telling someone at work the same, once she is told to find, her whole mind set changes, nose is glues to the deck and when she has found a scent she is so keen that on occassions she has been on her back legs pulling on the lease. If she is let loose she normally picks her head up and runs to the end of the trail.

My little dog having done his first follow up

Well done that wee dog and nice to see them stripped for the summer.

Bod

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post

My little dog having done his first follow up

Cracking!

....she has made a fool of me a few times when I have put her on a trail and I thought she had messed it up.....seems I was wrong and I had to learn.

Exactly!
    Thats what it is most times about!
    Learn to "read" your dog, learn to trust your dog.....
    The rest is usually just picking up on their nose abilities.....
    Good luck and always "Waidmannsheil" with your dog!

Regards from Germany

Michael