Thread: Ectoparasites

Ectoparasites

Adult tick ( Ixodes ricinus ) Before it has started feeding )

Deer Ked (Lipoptena cervi ) As you would find it on deer.
    Deer Ked After hatching and before flying off seeking a deer and then shedding their wings.

Looking for photos of Lice and their eggs attached to hairs please? Also a good picture of a tick after a blood meal. As they actually add to their body as they fill up with blood.
    morena.

These may be of no use but here's a couple I just pulled off a dried out head in my back yard. I thought they would up and leave once the body temperature dropped as fleas do but these didn't. They stayed and died....

Oh and the woman from next door saw me taking photos of "the reindeer head" and now thinks I'm REALLY weird!

She might be right!

The little one at the top is the same as in your top pic if that clears anything up.

Do the males feed on blood aswell?
    Are the red ones fully grown unfed ticks and the big white one's full of blood?
    The ones I've occasionally found on myself are a lot smaller than the one shown in fact miniature versions of the big white one...

Do they feed on blood as soon as they hatch?

Itchy now

Tick on tick

I came across this a year or so ago. A tick on a tick... not sure if its mating or feeding from the larger one!

Dave

That one has a different shape and colour to mine. Could that be a male tick and mine a female?

Here's an interesting link

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...3D108%26um%3D1

Quote Originally Posted by mickthebrick
    That one has a different shape and colour to mine. Could that be a male tick and mine a female?

Here's an interesting link

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...3D108%26um%3D1
    That is the male tick on the female