Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken leg

Broken leg

I have a wild fallow doe with fawn with a front browken leg the still attatched. I have seen her for three weeks in the same spot.I was thinking to leave her till the start of doe season as she can help her fawn. I don't like the idea of shooting out of season or if this would be legal. I would take her out before the rut as i don't think she would cope being pregnant anyway. Then of course the dependant fawn could cope on its own.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO woodfordfallow

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post
    I have a wild fallow doe with fawn with a front browken leg the still attatched. I have seen her for three weeks in the same spot.I was thinking to leave her till the start of doe season as she can help her fawn. I don't like the idea of shooting out of season or if this would be legal. I would take her out before the rut as i don't think she would cope being pregnant anyway. Then of course the dependant fawn could cope on its own.

If I could I would trap the fawn and have it reared by one of the animal hugging orgs and shoot the mother. It's the only humane thing to do IMHO.

personally, you don't know if she's in great pain and will break the other leg trying to jump over a fence and landing on the one working leg or get caught in fencing and suffer an even worse death.

it 'could' be she is not in pain and can live fine for a while, BUT, I would cull them both to ensure A. she is not in pain and B. she does not end up suffering more/dying and in turn leaving the fawn to suffer/starve too.

this is IMHO, but I feel it is your responsibility to be a deer manager, put the feelings aside and take a hard stance on the situation.

If you're going to cull them, don't wait until 'in season', do it now.

I for one have to agree with PKL as the well being of the deer has to come first, regardless of the date. The doe is unaware of the season to be culled in but must be very aware of the difficulty involved in raising the fawn. I think that a quick death for both parties is the best thing, in this circumstance, for the deer.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    personally, you don't know if she's in great pain and will break the other leg trying to jump over a fence and landing on the one working leg or get caught in fencing and suffer an even worse death.

it 'could' be she is not in pain and can live fine for a while, BUT, I would cull them both to ensure A. she is not in pain and B. she does not end up suffering more/dying and in turn leaving the fawn to suffer/starve too.

this is IMHO, but I feel it is your responsibility to be a deer manager, put the feelings aside and take a hard stance on the situation.

If you're going to cull them, don't wait until 'in season', do it now.
    +1 to this, you will know how debilitating the break is and if serious don't hesitate, sorry but better to act.

Shoot her, Seasons don't come into it with welfare issues. Seen deer with broken legs walking on splintered infected bone !

Just because they have too. Don't mean it is not in pain. Make sure you are quick to reload and drop the fawn better safe than sorry.

One of the down sides of responsable stalking im afraid.

ATB splash

Hi

As others have said the humane action is to cull both of them.

I am sure the legal requirements we work to allow for such instances as suffering/serious injury etc.

L

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi

the legal requirements we work to allow for such instances as suffering/serious injury etc.

L
    wouldn't even spring to mind tbh. what matters is the right thing to do, but yes, you're right ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by woodfordfallow View Post

3 weeks and still going strong
    what is her actual body condition and mobility
    can you see what the true condition of the injury is
    will it actually heal in time possibly deformed or is it really causing a health issue now or in the near future
    if it is a major concern for the doe and she is loosing condition fast then culling her and the fawn is probably a very humane action
    not a position I envy you for being in

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    3 weeks and still going strong
    what is her actual body condition and mobility
    can you see what the true condition of the injury is
    will it actually heal in time possibly deformed or is it really causing a health issue now or in the near future
    if it is a major concern for the doe and she is loosing condition fast then culling her and the fawn is probably a very humane action
    not a position I envy you for being in
    Thanks for your opinion she is looking fine good weight and the fawn is feeding off her.She is sitting with the rest of the herd and stays with them when they move back to the woods.I think she will do ok after all she has not gone down hill after three weeks.Many deer have lived with three legs.If she starts to lose weight or seems to go down hill i will take her out. cheers woodfordfallow