Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no bucks

no bucks

Just wondering if any one is having luck like mine? Ive been out about half a dozen time's for a buck and all i keep seeing are bloody does .
    I even went out with a friend the other morning and he shot a young buck after 20 minutes. well thats stalking i suppose and thats why i love it ill keep trying and ill let you know how i get on.

You're not alone!

At one of my places i've had half a dozen blanks. Everyone else sees them but me.........

maybe that should tell me something!

Dave

Did n't you know that deer are perfectly capable of reading a calender and determining whether or not they are in season.

If you knew that you were in season and there was somebody out there looking to put you in the larder would you show your ugly mug

I know what you mean. I was stalking in Sutherland over easter and on the drive to the forest, Roe does everywhere. Started the stalk, within 10mins spotted a lone doe looking at us. Off we go to the high seat....nothing. Eventually make our way back to the car and in the same clearing as the doe we saw originally, a cracking buck with 2 followers. I couldn't get a bead on it as it was about 150yds and slowly walking off, looking our way all the time!

learnt 3 lessons that day:-

1 Get some shooting sticks
    2 Get some better bino's
    3 If you see some Does the Bucks aren't going to be far away

I think I have been lucky because I have left Bucks on the land after shooting one,and,not being able to carry any more.But,I do know how it goes some of the time...............'M'

I would normally agree with the sentiment but this year things have started a little differently. On the first visit to my ground this season I drove the required four hours and decided to go straight down a boundary track. I spotted two bucks and two does. Got out of the car and shot one of the bucks. I was dead chuffed. Doesnt normally happen like that.

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington
    I think I have been lucky because I have left Bucks on the land after shooting one,and,not being able to carry any more.But,I do know how it goes some of the time...............'M'
    Yes you are a lucky bugger Martin. And some fine beasts you have on your permissions too.
    Does anyone know what the average ratio is for Roe does to Roe bucks? 3 or 4 to 1?
    I suppose what i`m trying to say is when the Does disappear to have their young, 3 or 4 vanish leaving one. Which looks like there`s none left.
    I`ll stop now before i confuse myself.
    basil.

Had four bucks since the 12/4.

A yearling near do well, two 2 year old's and a 4 year old this thursday evening.

I dont know how you guy's are finding your animals condition wise but three of mine were heaving with ticks and keds.

The 4 year old was the only one with that appeared clean.

I dont mind the woodland ticks but those little deer ticks the size of a pin head are real b*****s, makes me itch just thinking about them.

Just remember guy's, there is good food in the woods now and the bucks will want to gain weight and fat for the rut.

Maybe why you are not seeing them yet.

Im already seeing immature bucks being seen off, and yet a total contradiction the other evening as I watched a mature buck being sniffed and razzed by 2 youngsters and tolerating them.

Untill I shot one

Good hunting to you all

Max

Max,

Curious to know how you age them to that accuracy i.e. 2 Year old, 4 year old?

Best regards
    Sariel

All I have seen is bloody holes in the boundary fence on my little forestry lease, the other places only have Sika.

Last Sunday a few hundred yards up the road from my house my wife kindly pointed out buck that was about 125 yards away on a piece of clear-fell. I stopped and reversed, and watched him through my bins. All he did was lift his head, he was standing broadside on and grazing, looked at me and then went back to grazing. His antlers were well above his ears still in velvet but the really impressive thing was his body weight and size, he was a thumper. I hope he eludes the FC commission hit squads.

John