BASC input to Radio 4

Bob

Bill Harriman BASC contributed to a presentation today on the 'World at One' regarding lost and stolen guns, his view that we have sufficient legislation in place to deal with this problem and that gun crime has actually dropped was supported by the Police spokesman who publicly named Bill and agreed with his views.

Well done Bill!

Bob

Thank you very much indeed, i will pass this onto Bill. I was outside our radio studio when he was on air listening to the item.

We also had a member who's and MeP that we had briefed on Radio 2 - Vine Show - at the same time!

David

I heard it to and thought BAsC and the police came across well. I would be interested in what constituted lost guns. Would this also include parts of guns eg a lost bolt from a rifle. Would also things like a fire / flood or a capsize of boat that destroyed the guns also constitute a loss. I wonder how many "real" losses there really are - I have misplaced my gun and cannot find it. The only gun that I know of lost was a gun handed into an RFD whilst the friend moved house. 6 months later went to pick it up only to find dealer had gone bust and all stock dispersed.

I thought the interview went well, even the police contradicted the women from the anti gun lobby, I know of one person who lost/ had stolen a drilling, he still has his ticket.

I nearly lost my sg on the washes at Ely a about 10 of years ago I had to go over the side of the boat and under the water in sub zero temperatures I was packing up just put my gun on the side a bunch of mallard came over my dog he jumped back and knocked it overboard I was so scared of leaving it so I took my waders off jumped in probably not the right thing to do but I wonder what would have happened had I not been able to find it and didn't want to find out, some people have said wait for the water to run off but what if somebody else had got there first that's the thing, I now tie some string through the trigger guard and tie that to the boat should the unthinkable happen again should have done that in the first place tbh......

I nearly lost my sg on the washes at Ely a about 10 of years ago I had to go over the side of the boat and under the water in sub zero temperatures I was packing up just put my gun on the side a bunch of mallard came over my dog he jumped back and knocked it overboard I was so scared of leaving it so I took my waders off jumped in probably not the right thing to do but I wonder what would have happened had I not been able to find it and didn't want to find out, some people have said wait for the water to run off but what if somebody else had got there first that's the thing, I now tie some string through the trigger guard and tie that to the boat should the unthinkable happen again should have done that in the first place tbh......
tie the string to the wrist of the stock, less likely to catch the trigger in passing!

tie the string to the wrist of the stock, less likely to catch the trigger in passing!

Yes I could do that, when I say string it's actually 60lb sea fishing leader tied through a hole I drilled through the bottom of it so it's not sliding or moving along it should have made it more clearer

Last edited:
Just listened to it on iPlayer.

An oddly twisted initial representation/interpretation of fault and blame, from the Gun Control Network, regarding the levels of crime perpetrated upon certificate holders... i.e, the theft of certficate holders', almost universally, very carefully and responsibly stored and used property, which was far and away the greater part of the "jist of the figures", was correctly responded to and put into proper context; first by BASC (acting very well in our defence) and then the Police (in defence of nothing more than the facts). Malicious "bubble" of misinformative opinion thoroughly burst... even if the gross figures are a little startling.

BASC member here and no intention of giving up. Thank you Mr. Harriman and all of the team.

Just listened to it on iplayer and thought all came over well, but still concerned by the figures of the amount lost they are a bit alarming in reality IMO

Just listened to it on iPlayer.

An oddly twisted initial representation/interpretation of fault and blame, from the Gun Control Network, regarding the levels of crime perpetrated upon certificate holders... i.e, the theft of certficate holders', almost universally, very carefully and responsibly stored and used property, which was far and away the greater part of the "jist of the figures", was correctly responded to and put into proper context; first by BASC (acting very well in our defence) and then the Police (in defence of nothing more than the facts). Malicious "bubble" of misinformative opinion thoroughly burst... even if the gross figures are a little startling.

BASC member here and no intention of giving up. Thank you Mr. Harriman and all of the team.

+1

there was a policeman from the 'met' i think it was saying that they recover 240 firearms a week or month cant remember, in the 'met' area alone,but either way this is going to add up to a much larger problem than the lost and stolen,these firearms were recovered and not handed in or part of an amnesty.if you looked at what was on the table and the quality and type of some of them the criminals must still be ''importing'' them,so this has to be a much bigger issue for the antis to tackle,rather than having a go at us again,easy targets i guess

Back