Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on first DSLR

Advise on first DSLR

Afternoon chaps,

I`ve decided to go a bit more in depth with deer photography. Having looked around and tried friends kit I think I`m settled on a used Canon 550d. My problems start when looking at lenses within budget. What do I really need to take good close images at ranges of 80-200 yards? Would the 75-300mm canon do the job or are there better options without spending thousands? I guess it`s the same as scopes really but some of the lenses aimed at wildlife work are way out of my league moneywise. Any suggestions for a good starter kit would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Charly.

Buying a used body is a good move - not many would think to go that way. I use a 30D (+ Sigma 400mm F5.6 prime lens) which at 8.5 MP is alot less than

it's upto date equivalent but more than big enough on raw - and easily cropable!

As for the lens, i'd get the biggest and best (quality counts!) you can aford - a Canon 100-400 F5.6 would be perfect but don't discount the Sigma

telephoto zooms - 80-400 is a nice lens. My whole set up would cost 350 ish (not including the carbon fibre tripod)

Thanks bud,

Just been looking around and the bundle deals on new Canon 550/600`s look good until you see what lenses are in the package. I just know I will want to upgrade instantly! So confirmed my choice to go used. A 550d should be 350-450 used with a basic 18-55mm. For the deer work I`m thinking of the 70-200mm F4 with IS, but again used to stay in budget. Havn`t looked at Sigma yet, any tips on which model to look out for?

Funny coincidence this.

Just this morning I took delivery of a new Canon 550D with 18-55mm and 75-300mm lens. Really good deal on line with Jessops.

This I am advised is a step up from entry level DSLR's. Can't comment yet on how it might work, haven't got it out of the box yet.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Brian,

Thats probably what I was looking at just a minute ago. Did you go for the 50mm at discount as well? I`m tempted by this deal and just adding the 70-200mm f4 as funds allow.
    What was the wait from delivery to door?
    I have used a 550d with 50mm prime before and couldn`t fault it! Hope you enjoy your new kit.

It wasn't an 80-400 - bad memory! It was the Sigma 120-400mm O/S (Optically Stabilised) lens. I was looking at buying one a while back

but ended up keeping what I had. You'd be looking at 500 - but that's half what the Canon would be! I liked the fact that it focused down

to 1.5 metres - which works well for general garden wildlife and full frame close ups - minimum focus distance is often over looked in a lens.

If that's out of budget - the 70-200 f4 would be OK. The trouble with a wildlife lens is you're after both large focal length and a fast lens =

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KidA.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	18693

Charly,

Have you thought about Digiscoping with a decent spotting scope?

It would get around having to sort expensive telephoto lenses, (just an expensive spotting scope!) as most combinations just use a standard 50mm camera lense.

Obviously a spotting scope can also be used for other purposes without the camera attached, so it might make sense if you can make use of it elesewhere.

look at the packages on used Canon film SLR's!

Often the lenses are super cheap because no-one wants to buy film SLR's but the lenses are interchangeable

I have a Canon Eos500 with three lens and am looking for a DSLR to stick them on as I never use the SLR anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Shavesgreen View Post
    Brian,

Thats probably what I was looking at just a minute ago. Did you go for the 50mm at discount as well? I`m tempted by this deal and just adding the 70-200mm f4 as funds allow.
    What was the wait from delivery to door?
    I have used a 550d with 50mm prime before and couldn`t fault it! Hope you enjoy your new kit.
    I ordered it on line on Monday evening (bank holiday), it was delivered here in NI at 10.00am today, and I live way out in the sticks.

I had a Canon EOS 500 35mm SLR for a long time, it took fantastic photo's, worthless now, but I have a 105mm lens from it. I have been intending to buy a DSLR this past few years, but kept putting it off as technology developed. There is a guy here in work who is really into photography, I have had him on standby looking out for a good deal for me. He came into work on Monday morning and told me to jump on this package deal. I think this Jessops deal expires today!
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Well I`ve ordered the same package as Brian. I will be looking for a 70-200mm canon to go with!