Sambar Deer of New Zealand.

Hey guys,

I've just put up a new introductions thread - but for those of you who will miss it. I'm from New Zealand and will be living in England for the next year or two (overseas experience). Therefore, being new to this site, I figured the best way to get to know everyone was to share a few of my experiences.

I can hunt many species of deer here in New Zealand but by far my favourite species is Sambar. There size alone amazes me as I have shot numerous stags that would have been over 250 kilograms (around 500 lbs). However, for being such a large deer they are still incredibly cunning and at times, hard to locate. They live in incredibly tight bush (gorse/scrub) and primarily feed nocturnally.

Anyway - a few photos.

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

stag1.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

Sambar.jpg

yearlinghind.jpg

I hope you enjoy them - just a little bit bigger than a Roe Buck huh.

Pop Shot

Last edited:
Hi fella, welcome to the madhouse, some great pics, but be prepared for incoming...

The actions in pic 5 may be acceptable in NZ, but we tend not to do things like that over here :rofl:

Hi fella, welcome to the madhouse, some great pics, but be prepared for incoming...

The actions in pic 5 may be acceptable in NZ, but we tend not to do things like that over here :rofl:

What's unacceptable :cuckoo:, I would need to lie down and have a sleep as well if I had to drag that beastie, nothing wrong with the pic I think it gives a good perspective of the size of the sambar, keep the pics coming

Moose

As far as you know - it could have been shot on dusk and then taken me and my mate an hour or more to cut across the ridge and find her in the dark?

Or are you making a joke at me lying/sleeping by the deer. If so, photo was taken to indicate her size.

Last edited:
i dont think floyd was having a go just a joke about sleeping with the deer, at least thats my thaughts on it ,made me laugh anyway.
great pictures and will definately head back to nz its a fab place to hunt, look forward to reading more of your stories as im sure you have lots ,atb wayne

Manwhocuddlesuptodeaddeer, is that your Maury name or just something you find enjoyable

Welcome to the site, you will fit in great here, the humour may take a little getting used to but welcome aboard :D

Manawatu region - Lower North Island.
I am a south islander , Kaikoura area, I spent three years in the Manawatu at Massey - good times. Hunting in UK does not have the same accessibility as in NZ - two ways in - buy your access as advertised (some options on this site), or make yourself useful to a landowner or pro stalker. I am not in UK at present but will send a pm if I here of anyone needing help. Scotland hind cull etc. Good luck.

Fancy seeing you here Pop,;).
You got an email coming.
You missed a good talk the other night.:lol:

Back