Thread: advice on foxpro

advice on foxpro

hi,
    i,ve got a foxpro from off here but having no joy with it. had it in the field on all different settings and even had a fox in the field and payed no attention to it and just sat there. is there a knack too it, i,m i doing owt wrong.
    now tried it 6/7 times with no results????
    stav
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

Did you remember the basics?
    Wind direction/volume/amount of time call played?

Which calls have you tried?

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

yep using wind direction, volume either 3 or 4 and mainly tried young rabbit or field mouse.
    if i walk round with just the lamp i,m still getting them, but if i stay in 1 place with foxpro it's as if it scares them off.lol
    stav

where do you place it. how far away??? i place mine at the side of a telegraph post in the long grass too hide it. does that sound right.
    stav

Some you win some you lose - it is how it goes. There are really no hard and fast rules with the Foxpro. I tend to observe a blank field and set the caller going for no more than max 20 seconds - perhaps have more volume than you are using - say 7 or 8. Soon as I spot eyes, if the caller is on I mute it as a fox can pinpoint easily where the sound is coming from.

I have put some black tape over the light on the caller (I have the Scorpion) as that light can spook a fox. Sounds are Vole, (especially on fresh cut grass) Rat in distress and Snowshoe Hare. I do not use any of the rabbit calls as they are the sounds that people without this caller tend to use and lamp shy foxes can associate the rabbit squeal with a bullet passing next to them. The foxpro is a great caller for foxes but it did take me a while to get the best out of it.

Dont forget your movement when switching the caller on/off and gun movement are easily seen by foxes.

Keep going - you have not wasted your money !!

Quote Originally Posted by stav View Post
    where do you place it. how far away??? i place mine at the side of a telegraph post in the long grass too hide it. does that sound right.
    stav
    I put mine out about 150 yds (I use n/v) if its in a large field I prop it up with a little bundle of hay I have that is tied with baler cord. Base of a telegraph pole is fine.

If you are not using N/V, it could be that your foxes are spooked by your lamp which is getting more of their attention that the sound you are using.

My Foxpro get me no more Foxes than any of my other manual calls, its just an additional tool to the collection, I was sat there with a mate a few weeks back and had a Charlie sat patiently 200 yards away, which was not safe to shoot, tried lots of different Foxpro calls and again it just sat there, had a quick blast of the Best Fox Call and before I knew it I was shouting at it too stop so I could shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    I put mine out about 150 yds (I use n/v) if its in a large field I prop it up with a little bundle of hay I have that is tied with baler cord. Base of a telegraph pole is fine.

If you are not using N/V, it could be that your foxes are spooked by your lamp which is getting more of their attention that the sound you are using.
    Mine (scorpion) wont work out at 150yds, 80 yards max is all i can use it at. I have it mounted on a small camera tripod, so it sits about 10 inches off the ground. I all ways have the light on it facing me too.
    I have had more blank outings than successful ones but I still think its a handy tool.
    ​" How Much !"

Quote Originally Posted by martinl View Post
    Mine (scorpion) wont work out at 150yds, 80 yards max is all i can use it at. I have it mounted on a small camera tripod, so it sits about 10 inches off the ground. I all ways have the light on it facing me too.
    I have had more blank outings than successful ones but I still think its a handy tool.
    Have not tested mine recently, but when I bought it two years ago it failed to respond at 217 yds (using a range finder)

I've just bought one and have shot 6 with it in 2 weeks with it, which is good for round here. Been using juv fox distress which has brought best results. I play mine for a minute on 3-4 then off for 5 mins. Then try again on 7-8 then if no results ill ramp it to 10 then start bringing it back down. If After an hour nothing shows I move on. You need to be in a large field and don't lamp all the time. Leave it off till half way through calling then have a root round. Also don't change your call stick to one and if nothing comes change it the night after or you won't know which works best.