Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What sort of big cat?

What sort of big cat?

I apologise for this thread on the grounds that I have been less than appreciative of some posts on this topic, but I found this report on the radio so fascinating I thought I would post this up.

After the Clacton "big cat" story, and
    the radio 4 presenter Jim Naughtie saying he believed in them, there was an interesting piece on radio 4 yesterday by a Prof' Stephen Harris;

"
    Stephen Harris, professor of environmental sciences at Bristol University, suggested that rather than escaped big cats or wildcats, the creatures being spotted might be domestic cats that have gone feral.Prof Harris told BBC Radio 4's Today programme feral cats could grow to be "surprisingly large".
    "There are some quite big feral cats out there," he said. In Australia, Prof Harris said, there had been feral cats shot weighing 40lbs (18kgs) and 5ft 9in (1.7m) long."

Now that is a big cat! And seemingly all domestic cats are descended from the Wildcat so it would make sense for feral cats to revert, the same as feral hogs have done in certain parts of the world.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19411647)

It makes sense to me!

Simon

This true to some extent, there is even something called the Kellas Cat in the UK that is a feral domestic cat of a larger size than usual that is a hybrid with the native Scottish wild cat. It does not however explain all sightings, some of which could not be a domestic cat of any sort as they are far too large
    Last edited by paul k; 30-08-2012 at 09:02.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    This true to some extent, there is even something called the Kellas Cat in the UK that is a feral domestic cat of a larger size than usual that is a hybrid with the native Scottish wild cat. It does not however explain all sightings, some of which could not be a domestic cat of any sort as they are far too large
    Bigger than the figures quoted of feral cats killed in Australia? 5'9" long sounds large to me!

Simon

An 11 Kg 40 cm tall Maine Coon most likely.

Stan

I have personally seen a large black feral cat pick up a rabbit I shot (25yds away) and run 40yds before dropping it - that must have been a decent size animal to pick up a rabbit and run with it.

It wasn't a black fox before anyone asks

If you look at the feral cats in tasmania - they can get up to 7ft long, and apparently according to the reporter doing the story it takes as little as 6 generations for a domestic cat to revert to a feral cat... it's not hard to believe that a creature 3ft in the body would be a danger to sheep etc.

As for sightings, I've seen a cat only once in my garden in 2 years, but the little f*ckers are clearly there a lot as there's sh*t regularly and they've marked and killed a lot of my lawn!

I listened to this report. Stephen Harris said the feral cats in this country could be upto 4' long from nose to tip of tail and he doubted the existence of Pumas or Lynx or Ocelot in this country. They would have bred and multiplied by now.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I have personally seen a large black feral cat pick up a rabbit I shot (25yds away) and run 40yds before dropping it - that must have been a decent size animal to pick up a rabbit and run with it.

It wasn't a black fox before anyone asks

If you look at the feral cats in tasmania - they can get up to 7ft long, and apparently according to the reporter doing the story it takes as little as 6 generations for a domestic cat to revert to a feral cat... it's not hard to believe that a creature 3ft in the body would be a danger to sheep etc.

As for sightings, I've seen a cat only once in my garden in 2 years, but the little f*ckers are clearly there a lot as there's sh*t regularly and they've marked and killed a lot of my lawn!
    I'll add to this that the rumours of lynx/pumas/ocelot/etc aren't totally outlandish - when wildcats were made illegal in this country in the 70's a lot were released rather than surrendered... it follows that smaller species of wild cats could have conceivably have cross-bred with feral cats (in the same way wolves will breed with dogs), and as a result genetic traits of size and colouration could be in existence...

I used to have a Bengal. He would catch both rabbits and pheasants and bring them home !

He was once seen up a tree with a rabbit with a fox waiting underneath....To be fair the fox would not have wanted to tangle, he was as soft a butter when at home but was like lightening and hard as nails when outside....Beautiful cat to look at too...

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Go on iplayer and watch yesterday's real rescues there was a wildlife patrol officer who had a foot print of a large cat and he said he had seen a big cat I think he said a puma they had a cast of the footprint and pictures of this print.......

My friend has a dwal license and breeds servals and bengals he thinks that there are a lot of F1 bengals which get mistook for wildcats they are bloody big cats that is for sure and weigh a ton....

Last edited by MONGOOSE; 30-08-2012 at 14:19.

Hadn't considered that - always thought Bengals etc had to be kept indoors! Do you get black Bengals?