Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalking with accuracy international AW/AE rifles

stalking with accuracy international AW/AE rifles

anyone doing it?

Yes tried it didn't last long to be honest weight was one issue uncomfortable to carry over any distance trying to use it on sticks very hard amongst others I no 2 people who thought they would be ok both now use standard rifles, if you were just going to lay prone all day and hardly move be ideal if not stay well clear, but again this is just my opinion and there like ass holes everybody has one......

I sat and had a couple of beers with Malcolm Cooper in the Munich olympic shooting range in the late 80"s. He was the gent (olypic shooting smallbore gold medalist) who set up the company to get the sniper rifle contract from the UK MOD.
    He alas died at 51 from the big C and his wife Sarah sold the business, I later also met a chap in 1996 in Shoreham by sea who had been the engineering manager at the facility told me a few development stories.
    I understand that they are very well made and highly accurate.
    Over to the squaddies / swabbies for any more input.
    Martin

Regular Poster
    Used a 7mm on the hill for reds. Very effective and interesting but so so heavy not worth it. Not necessarily talking about carrying on the shoulder, I mean crawling through the peat and lifting it along. Never felt unfit on the hill before but this got me puffing. Novelty wore off. Went back to regular rifle next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    Used a 7mm on the hill for reds. Very effective and interesting but so so heavy not worth it. Not necessarily talking about carrying on the shoulder, I mean crawling through the peat and lifting it along. Never felt unfit on the hill before but this got me puffing. Novelty wore off. Went back to regular rifle next day.
    Yep sounds same as I found it.....

I have used mine a few times, but like the rest say bloody heavy ! Use a mountain weight rifle now,unless i know im shooting long range 300m on areas with little cover ( Fallow ) then the AE comes out to play !!

I have one but it is very heavy for anything other than static shooting so I had my TRG shortened and suppressed and it is a better option. The AI is good for calibre change and it is very accurate with the right load but mine stays in the safe and may be about to be replaced with an LMT straight pull 308 which is as accurate. If you are fit and can carry it around then it is however a very good rifle and very reliable.

Only stalk with my AW now mate.

Yeah it's a lump, but it carries easier than my Sako 85 that always wants to slip off my shoulder and is very front heavy with a T8 on the end. The AW's weight is spread much more evenly over the rifle and hardly moves for me.

A 3-4 hour stalk isn't exactly an 8 mile CFT (speed march) with a 60lb bergan and an SA80, so being your own boss you can have as many breathers as you feel you need, so a heavy rifle isn't a problem. If it is, then p'raps a bit of fitness training would do you some good, as it would even if you only use a light rifle. If anything though, more regular stops will only serve to slow down your stalk, and will more than likely lead to more success. Especially if like me you sometimes get a bit of a wiggle on trying to see what's in the next paddock afore the light goes!

'Course, i don't spend much time crawling around them thar hills!
    Last edited by digger9523; 30-08-2012 at 18:08.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Plus you are 7 ft 2 tall digger

Quote Originally Posted by SussexFallow View Post
    Plus you are 7 ft 2 tall digger
    A minor detail mate....
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.