Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To re Barrel or new Rifles

To re Barrel or new Rifles

Just out of being nosey what would you guys do? The reason Iam asking is that my old M77 Mk2 Ruger Vts in 22/250 and .308 will need new barrels soon. I am thinking of keeping them and having them Re barreled. If I do whos barrels would I use and Why?. Ive heard the new rugers are not as good so it would be another make of rifle if I was to replace them. Cheers Hootsman

Quote Originally Posted by Hootsman View Post
    ... my old M77 Mk2 Ruger Vts in 22/250 and .308 will need new barrels soon. I am thinking of keeping them and having them Re barreled....
    Sounds a good plan to me. Why give up on the bits that work? I have True-Flite barrel (http://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/) on order for the 260 Rem in my Gallery. Regards JCS

You could get them recut out to a larger calibre as the metal will have been tenderised nicely if it is now shot out push the .308 to .338.06 & the .22-250 to .23 super boomer (not sure which would fit as the chamber is long).
    I think the US word for this was freshening.
    Martin

I would contact gunsmith and ask if they would do Ruger77 and at what cost!
    The reason I say this is the Ruger has to be milled because of the Mauser type extractor..
    I know of some who wouldn't touch one with the preverbial barge-pole..

regards
    NoW

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    You could get them recut out to a larger calibre as the metal will have been tenderised nicely if it is now shot out push the .308 to .338.06 & the .22-250 to .23 super boomer (not sure which would fit as the chamber is long).
    I think the US word for this was freshening.
    Martin
    Are you sure? Border barrels were not happy re-cutting a barrel due to fire hardening and the chamber reamers would be at the rifle owners cost as the extra hardness tends to break them. I only know this as i enquired some time ago about a similar venture and this is what they told me.

I take it with the hastle involved its going to be expensive? Whats the usual price for Re barreling? Cheers Hootsman

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    its about 650 to 750 depending on the smith down here thats with proofing and if he has the reamer to do the job in his tool box.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Bloody hell I wasnt expecting it to be as expensive. I better start saving lol. cheers Hootsman

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    I would contact gunsmith and ask if they would do Ruger77 and at what cost!
    The reason I say this is the Ruger has to be milled because of the Mauser type extractor..
    I know of some who wouldn't touch one with the preverbial barge-pole..

regards
    NoW

Sounds like they are not true gunsmiths.

perhaps enquire with Fultons of Bisley or A.E. Clarke down that way Camberly? as they are used to doing Mauser and P14/17's which of course use the "Mauser" type extractors.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i know 2 smiths that will do a mauser action with no problems.

if i was looking at 2 shot out rifles as hootsman is, i would just save up and go looking on the second hand market, plenty rifles about and money is tight (well it is for us non traders )

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube