Thread: Salt Licks

Salt Licks

Looking at the price of the salt licks from Bush wear they seem to be a lot more expensive than the licks used by farmers for sheep and cattle. is there any difference in the mineral content etc between these to justify the price or it simpler cheaper to use the ones the farmers use and if so will the deer take to these?

Deer licks traditionally had high levels of copper as copper deficiency can be a problem with red deer, certainly on some deer farms. The levels in these licks can be toxic to sheep so care should be taken as to where they are placed. The fact that a lick has a picture of a deer on the label doesn't mean however that it was specifically formulated for deer, I have no idea of the forulation of the one from Bushwear. Whatever one you buy I think will probably be a waste of money, they have some value in farmed stock on restricted ground but free ranging wild deer with access to browse should have a non deficient diet.

Try Hockham Deer knz blocks used on most deer parks and farms there will also be a list of its contens.Try crystalicks for horses cox robins or countywide sell these.

I use Rocky salt licks for cattle, goats and deer.
    They have high copper in them unlike the ones for sheep.
    The Fallow and Reds go mad on them but Roe don't seem to bother with them.
    They are much cheaper than the Bushwear ones and are available from any agricultural supplies.
    www.yorkshiredeermanagement.co.uk

IF ITS RED ITS DEAD AND IF ITS BROWN ITS DOWN

Rocky well get the vote from Reds here. Roe seem to prefer Rocky yellow or the Saltz Anis paste.

Rockies are about 15.95 for two 10kg blocks.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

knz blocks work for us but the deer can be slow to start to work them. Stags get the most benifit from them
    .It's worth getting the soil tested to see whats lacking mineral wise and try to match the block to that.

i found that mixing gamekeep aniseed powder and raw mollasses works on roe, but you have to use it for a while and dont put it on a stump too thick just a smear they will at 1st sniff it and after a while when its washed into the wood they start to lick, But they dont stay on it for long and you have to keep just smearing a bit on at a time.
    strange but bumble bee's like it aswell
    If anyone else has found a secret formula please enlighten us

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyboy View Post
    i found that mixing gamekeep aniseed powder and raw mollasses works on roe, but you have to use it for a while and dont put it on a stump too thick just a smear they will at 1st sniff it and after a while when its washed into the wood they start to lick, But they dont stay on it for long and you have to keep just smearing a bit on at a time.
    strange but bumble bee's like it aswell
    If anyone else has found a secret formula please enlighten us
    A bag of water-softener salt (which is 'food grade') worked into the soil; combined with a bag of pony-carrots, and some aniseed oil to attract them to the salt lick/food source in the first place. An other cheap solution from the man who doesn't like to be seduced by the marketing-men.

I use liduid licks as even the species which wont hit a solid lick will take a liquid one.

The basic lick is 100l of molasses ,100l of warm water (molasses mixes better), 3kg salt, 3kg garden lime & 3kg urea.

I'll add trace elements if I think its needed.

If the lick is to be used as a lure then adding 100g of bakers yeast to just a 50/50 mix of molasses & water & allowing a few days to ferment before putting out,is the best lure for deer & pigs.

Cheers Sharkey
    Last edited by sharkey; 18-03-2013 at 07:13.