Are any of you guys out tomorrow after a quacker or a honker?....If so don't forget they've had a poor breeding season (round here anyway) and those young flappers will be as green as grass, give them a chance and in a couple of months they will be good sporting birds you will remember shooting not easy bag fillers you don't!!.....good hunting!!.

I always loved the 1st!!!! Never shot though just watched I prefered my geese a bit more wiser and alot less like powder puffs.

Nutty

seen my first skien of pinks yesterday! they are about a week earlyer then last year just a small bunch of a dozen.
dont like shooting ducks untill oct as a few frost help push full winter plumage through so as when dressing the ducks they pluck easier and dont look like hedgehogs with all the pen feathers+ they have a nice little bit of fat on them and makes them that little bit tastier.
got over 150 feeding on one pond been feeding it for a month get them really keen on it then have a decent night when the weather and moon is right!

Im just waiting on my shotgun license coming through, hopefully won't be too much longer as its been away just over a month. Are there any people on here near Edinburgh who wouldn't mind showing a newbie the ropes of fowling? I've got experience with other shooting just not this.
Thanks
casey

Me and the dogs all go down the foreshore on the first always have done since I was a kid with my dad just brings memories flooding back, rarely shoot anything just love being out its usually to bloody hot to walk to my favourite spot anyway but just love getting out these were taken on the first last year

wildfowling058.jpg

wildfowling062.jpg

wildfowling111.jpg

wildfowling120.jpg

wildfowling040.jpg

wildfowling083.jpg

Last edited:
great photos
used to love the first day of duck shooting that was when I was in a syndicate and had a long stretch of the chelmer to walk them up and if we were lucky the geese would come through.

never been after duck or goose would love too. Seen loads of canadas flying about in the last week probably 300 in total

I have seen more duck this year than for decades. In the Borders 50+ on a pond in a middle of what should have been a barley field. Double figures on my flight pond (still as yet unfed) as its a marsh getting close to it will need waders. Saw lots flighting over the last week. Even saw a couple on a tiny puddle in the middle of a combined wheat field on Sunday.

D

Had one mallard and a greylag on the 1st not been out since its to bloody hot and not going to get any cooler anytime soon so not going to get out for a while.......

Nice pics, stirred up some good memories.

Nothing better than being knee deep in mud,dogs sleeping and then you hear it. Wink wink Wink wink. First of the white fronts are coming in, Takes your breath away every time.

Now I gotta get out there, don't normally go out until November

Nice pics, stirred up some good memories.

Nothing better than being knee deep in mud,dogs sleeping and then you hear it. Wink wink Wink wink. First of the white fronts are coming in, Takes your breath away every time.

Now I gotta get out there, don't normally go out until November

I normally go out on the first but mainly start from end of October when the wigeon and pinks arrive....

I was out Saturday evening at one of my ponds and nothing came in which is just very strange as it has been well fed for over 3 weeks and normally produces at least half a dozen wild duck at this time of year.

Managed to get out again on Sunday evening at another one of my well fed ponds which normally shoots fab wild birds all season but instead of 20+ wild duck (which is the norm), we only had 3 mallard with another 15 or so flying around but very nervously. Not sure if it was the full moon, past predator distubance or just a serious lack of wild birds around this year. Time will tell I guess.

Having said all that sitting in a duck hide during a September evening / dusk will always beat sitting at home with Sky+ even if there are no ducks flying!

EarlyGoose shooting around here has been poor for a couple of years ever since thewater board started to prick the eggs on the reservoirs around my area. Iconcede they needed to do something as 5-6 years ago there were more Canada’saround than you could believe and that was causing blue green algae on the reservoirs from their nitrogenfilled droppings. Getting that balance right will always be controversial. Things always pick up though when the grey's arrive in numbers during November /December. Don't know about you guys but even after 37 years of decoying Geese the thrill of a skein heading to my decoys never dies.

SMILE AND PAY!!!!!
SMILE AND PAY!!!!!

Back