Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K series cam locking tool

Account Suspended

K series cam locking tool

Ok, this is a bit of a chancey one, but I live in hope.

I've a bit of work to do on a Rover K series engine this weekend and I find that the cam locking tool that I ordered earlier in the week was not "in stock" after all.. and now I've no idea when it will actually be delivered.

Can any kind soul in the Edinburgh/Central Belt area either lend me or sell me one of these little gizmos... or point me in the direction of someone who could... ideally tomorrow.

Thanks in anticipation~Tom

Account Suspended
    Oops! ... Sorry for posting this in the wrong section... meant to put it in vehicles "wanted" ....

Regular Poster
    Try Dan Tomson on 01315 541233. Edinburgh.

use vice grips
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    Try Dan Tomson on 01315 541233. Edinburgh.
    Wow!

Thanks Foss.... Dan's the man, right enough... Result! (PM to follow, friend)

And... in 4 minutes flat... That's just astonishing... Good ole S.D.

Tamus
    Just out of curiousity is it the Head Gasket? I am on my third on my K-Series.

Yorkie.

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Wow!

Thanks Foss.... Dan's the man, right enough... Result! (PM to follow, friend)

And... in 4 minutes flat... That's just astonishing... Good ole S.D.
    Pleased you hopefully got it sorted.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    Pleased you hopefully got it sorted.
    Good morning Foss...

As it happens, Dan didn't actually have one but he knew a man that did... I'm just home from collecting it and about to go back out to the shed and whip the head off one of those much maligned, but brilliantly conceived, K-series motors. So, provided no machining is required (which is something I've yet to establish) there's a fair chance of getting "sorted" this weekend. I thank you for this... cheers!. Atb~Tom

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    Tamus
    Just out of curiousity is it the Head Gasket? I am on my third on my K-Series.

Yorkie.
    Sorry Yorkie, got a bit caught up in solving the problem and missed your question.

Yes it was the head gasket, but it was not a toasted one. Caught in the early stages of oil pressure leakage to coolant system. All the oilway seals on the exhaust manifold side were in various states of failure.

For your technical info. The vehicle is a late MG ZS 1600. With the uprated "steel" locating dowel version of the K-16 engine... but, dear only knows why they stuck with that stupid gasket with the condom material for seals. Now sporting a very smart Multi-layer (5 layer) Stainless Steel, Viton coated, gasket system. There was no cylinder head fire-ring pitting or either head or block distortion detectable and the fine surface polish is now very even and intact without any obvious stress risers visible. No annealing of the head had taken place either and... the liner heights are good and pretty even at between 0.0035" and 0.004" proud of the block deck, just as you'd want... so we should hopefully be sorted now.

Tamus.
    You know you stuff mate.
    I dont think the 1.4 and 1.6 were as prone to HG failure as the 1.8?
    Have the Chinese started using this Engine again in their new MG incarnation? I think they bought Powertrain as part of the MG Rover deal.

Yorkie.