Wanted: Stalking Wanted - North Yorkshire

Awest

Dear Sir or Madam

Unaccompanied stalking sought - circa 9 beasts per year - North Yorkshire - Any reasonable fee considered - Experienced and locally known mature stalker - Ripon Area (30 mile radius) - Particularly interested in long term involvement/management of woodland.

I am able to take on small scale rabbit and fox control but not on large woodlands.

BDS member and insurance.

Regards
AW

Dave - many thanks - you wouldnt happen to have a contact name or was it just through the national trust? I know the herds a little at Fountains and would be interested even if it is just helping out.

Kind regards

AW

It was the wife who mentioned it, I think she had been on some Volanteer work web site base in harrogate. it would be worth a google.

Dave

Awestgar said:
Many thanks Dave I will have a search.

AW

Dave - just to let you know I have secured some lovely woodland stalking about an hours drive away - what more could I ask - thanks anyway for your response - much appreciated.

Kind regards

AW

AW

Good News and good luck. It is it all roe on your new ground? I am about 40 miles North of you and we have ad a confirmed sighting of Muntjac. I have not seen this with my own eyes yet so........

Dave

This is a slightly delayed reply Dave.........12 years to be exact...but I was out on the edge of Lightwater Valley the other day and guess what I saw? Looks like you were right. It looked like a very fat female to me. Muntjac skulls have turned up on the R. Ure as well. They are definitely established and breeding here now.

Interesting to read this, I'm from Ripon and currently thinking about moving back to the area so interested to hear experience of local stalking as I'll definitely be looking to find ground around there.

I feel like this same post now would be met with “join the queue” “get out and door knock like the rest of us”! Glad to see it was a positive outcome.

Was it really this straightforward only 12 years ago?!

Actually everyone was really helpful and I had loads of really good advice and support back in the day. I reckon on the whole most stalkers are keen to help and pass on their knowledge. Many landowners just want someone who is trust worthy and does what they say they will do, takes time to build that trust up of course. Whether its harder these days I don't really know but if you keep going most people get there. The BDS members were also fantastic by the way and really happy to help.

Of course it wasn’. I’ve been a member for that amount of time and there were plenty smart arsed helpful reply’s going about those days. Awestgar was indeed a lucky chap and good luck to him.

Actually everyone was really helpful and I had loads of really good advice and support back in the day. I reckon on the whole most stalkers are keen to help and pass on their knowledge. Many landowners just want someone who is trust worthy and does what they say they will do, takes time to build that trust up of course. Whether its harder these days I don't really know but if you keep going most people get there. The BDS members were also fantastic by the way and really happy to help.
Totally agree with your comment regarding landowners wanting someone to do what they say, mates farm down the road from me had a guy ask for pigeon shooting, yeah crack on he was told, i walked the fields a couple of days after an found around a dozen dead pigeon a partridge an a hare dumped in the hedge back.... Needless to say, adios old lad dunt come back.

I can't believe people would do that to themselves!
I have found, and am still finding, it so difficult to get a go at anything shooting wise I've wondered just how people manage to do it at all! some lucky people don't realise just how lucky they are

J

Back