Are Ballistic Turrets Really Necessary?

The beauty of ballistic turrets is that Trajectories dont matter.. dial in to a known range and it does'nt matter if your bullet goes 100yds up and does a loop the loop its still going to hit your poa... There probably is a place for them in the stalking world, but unfortunately not on these pages....

That's kind of my point Nell.

Trajectory IMO doesn't matter....... out to 200yds regardless of the calibre if zeroed appropriately.

I know if I get a new scope for the 308 (still thinking about the new Zeiss HT) it will not have one on it.

If I do ahead with the custom build of a 6.5x47 or 6.5x284 it may well have a BT on the scope for that rifle but it will be used for a whole different application.

That's kind of my point Nell.

Trajectory IMO doesn't matter....... out to 200yds regardless of the calibre if zeroed appropriately.

I know if I get a new scope for the 308 (still thinking about the new Zeiss HT) it will not have one on it.

If I do ahead with the custom build of a 6.5x47 or 6.5x284 it may well have a BT on the scope for that rifle but it will be used for a whole different application.

You must put one on either of the 6,5s, why else would you go down that road if it was'nt to stretch your legs a bit;)

Wolverine, my point exactly ,get a decent ballistic programe with trajectory on it, tell the scope what it needs to know and off you jolly well go;)

personally I love simplicity, class, originality and quality - hence, for me there's nothing better than a nice blackeneded rifle in a walnut stock and a german optic fixed scope in a 'down to earth' magnification that's zeroed at MPBR which for my rifles is usually around the 230yd range.

simple, dead hold unless you're very close then below, or if just on the outskirts of the 230 just a tad above. but in 9/10 cases, bang on,,,and bang on ;)

I agree not needed at all. My Leupold has target turrets and I also suffered the iss of POI shift, turned out to be the turret being turned as i took it out of my foam case.Always happens at night out foxing. Mine is now taped up. However I do have a full trajectory chart on the side of my .223 and when i get the chance will use it for some long range crow busting, then elevation target turret will come into place. With my .223 zeroed a 200yds effectively everything is dead on and at 300yds just put reticule on a foxes back.

D

You must put one on either of the 6,5s, why else would you go down that road if it was'nt to stretch your legs a bit;)

Wolverine, my point exactly ,get a decent ballistic programe with trajectory on it, tell the scope what it needs to know and off you jolly well go;)

That is exactly what it will be for mate, unique very seldom use. ;)

I have different attitudes to some when it comes to managing numbers of deer when an opportunity presents itself and the pressure of numbers is on. I am not suggesting showing the beast any less respect, simply ensuring that the equipment I have to hand is capable of doing what is asked accurately and humanely. That is not what I use the 308 for which is used for almost all my stalking requirements at present. Hence the reference to 99.9% of applications, by 99.99% of UK stalkers not needing a BT...

Don't think they are really necessary....but better.
With conventional turrets you know where your bullet is going to at only one distance and the other distances are a guess.
Why do snipers or target shooters use ballistic turrets? Because they know it is an advantage to be able to hit what they aim at.
Deer stalkers should have that as a priority also.
Ballistic turrets like the S&B precision hunter are easy to use and one can adjust drop even blind folded without danger
of becoming lost.

edi

I also have just fitted the above scope to my 308, got it dialled into 500yrds. I now have the option when shooting deer on one of my patch's if I can't get close to beasts of going then for the longer shot if needed! Worked well on Saturday past shot a nice 4 pointer at 290yrds on open hill.

In past years i have missed the chance of shooting beasts on the hill or open ground due to trying to stalk in closer or cover large distances trying to get closer.

With my scope like ejg explains not to difficult to use! which suits me also.

Last edited:
I guess culling and having to hit numbers is one thing, for the 'enjoyment' aspect of it my personal sense of achievement comes from getting as close as possible, ideally well within 100yds, extending that to 200 on the hill - anything further than that and I'd feel like I never gave the beast a chance.

shot a nice 6 pointer yesterday morning with my new CZ/BRNO .223 (first game shot with it :),,stalked him as close as I possibly could, and even though it was a challenge I decided to take the shot in the end, despite the heavy cross-wind. After checking on the beast it turned out to be a perfect H/L shot. walking it back to the shot position it measured a full 28yds. :D

I guess culling and having to hit numbers is one thing, for the 'enjoyment' aspect of it my personal sense of achievement comes from getting as close as possible, ideally well within 100yds, extending that to 200 on the hill - anything further than that and I'd feel like I never gave the beast a chance.

shot a nice 6 pointer yesterday morning with my new CZ/BRNO .223 (first game shot with it :),,stalked him as close as I possibly could, and even though it was a challenge I decided to take the shot in the end, despite the heavy cross-wind. After checking on the beast it turned out to be a perfect H/L shot. walking it back to the shot position it measured a full 28yds. :D

Couldnt agree more :)

You certainly gave that one a chace then:rofl:

very funny Nell ;)

As I'm sure you know, I gave it a chance in terms of getting close, if I had made any small error in using the wind, walking quietly and moving slowly, getting the rifle up in position, etc. it would've been off like the wind, but I chose to risk getting close, REALLY close. in fact, once I was that close, it had no chance (so you're right), it was a dead-on shot, but in my mind, that was ethical and great sport too. TBH, I could probably have taken the buck off the sticks at 100 or sitting off a fence pole from way down the hill, probably 200yds+, but if that was the case, to me I might as well have flown a b52 over the tree plantation and then gone and picked up the bits....:stir:..now a crawl into 28yds,heart pounding, the slightest error in movement or wind-reading,,,an accidental squeeky fart, or a knock of the gun stock would've been 'all over'..now that is adrenalin pumping stalking...IMHVHO

You know im pulling your leg im sure,its all great fun particulary when it does'nt matter if you kill the beast or not....

If you want to give them a chance,get as close as poss, jump up clap your hands then cover your eyes and count to 10then shout comming ready or not:rofl:

Back