Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round wouldn't chamber

Round wouldn't chamber

Well went out stalking this morning hoping to get my first deer with my own rifle so out we go all ready and JRoe does his part and puts me onto a buck, I go to chamber a round and it won't go the bolt wouldn't go down fully... Oh crap what's going on here am starting to fluster and flap all this while the bucks only 30 yards away. Well takes that round out loads another it goes in fine like it should, like it did when I zero'd. by that time he's bucks out of site!!!! Oh well looks like my first with my rifle is going to take a bit of work.

Any suggestions why it didn't chamber?
    Anyone else had any problems with .270 Winchester super x 130gr?

any marks on the case.
    check the lip of the neck, unusual on factory rounds but a slight lip or bulge can be enough

Had it a lot with federal factory rounds in my steyr and if they did chamber on firing had a job to pull the bolt back .changed to Norma and happy days
    kind regards
    norma

Shouldn't you have had one up the spout ready? 30 yards from a deer is not a time to be cycling an action.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I did think the same as above ....how many folk have got the deer in the x hairs then click .... Forgot to cycle a round ... Quite a few ( I've done it ) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Shouldn't you have had one up the spout ready? 30 yards from a deer is not a time to be cycling an action.
    As it was a case of out the car get the gun out its slip put the mag in and load it up while the deer was standing there. So no it wasn't possible to put one in the chamber before then.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    any marks on the case.
    check the lip of the neck, unusual on factory rounds but a slight lip or bulge can be enough
    There was marks where it looks like the case has been pressed round the bullet that's different to the rest so maby that's what stopped it. Thanks david

I'd clean the barrel and chamber,
    in a safe enviroment chamber each cartridge to see if there is another problem.

edi

Quote Originally Posted by davidm View Post
    There was marks where it looks like the case has been pressed round the bullet that's different to the rest so maby that's what stopped it. Thanks david

i clipped the neck seating a bullet once and the neck was barely any different but it was enough to stop chambering

Cleaned it as suggested by edi and it cycled 30 other rounds no problem like a new rifle should.

Yeah bewsher500 the case has a small indent round tha area and it's also uneven, there's a high point on the neck so am pretty sure that's the problem.

Lesson learnd--- stop fu*king about and cycle another round before the deer runs away lol the joys of stalking wouldn't be fun if it was simple