Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Remington 700 in .223?

Which Remington 700 in .223?

Hi everyone

I have an as yet unfilled slot for a .223

Have been looking at the second hand Remington 700 market and also the RWS Titan 3.

I like the look of the XCR, but think that a tuned VSF will be as accurate and am not sure what to make of a SPS.
    Mid-range accuracy is everything to me 200-300m, but would like to keep the budget sub 700 if possible. The rifle will be used for Fox in the main.

The Titan 3 is an alternative choice but the aluminium receiver is putting me off as well as reports of bendy fore-end.

Any ideas/experience most welcome.

Cheers
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Hi everyone

I have an as yet unfilled slot for a .223

Have been looking at the second hand Remington 700 market and also the RWS Titan 3.

I like the look of the XCR, but think that a tuned VSF will be as accurate and am not sure what to make of a SPS.
    Mid-range accuracy is everything to me 200-300m, but would like to keep the budget sub 700 if possible. The rifle will be used for Fox in the main.

The Titan 3 is an alternative choice but the aluminium receiver is putting me off as well as reports of bendy fore-end.

Any ideas/experience most welcome.

Cheers
    I have shot quite a few Remington 700's and think there are better factory rifles in that price range the tikka t3,Browning x-bolt and also the howa 1500, but if in the future you want to modify your rifle there are more upgrades for the 700 but if you get a decent rifle you shouldn't need to upgrade any parts apart from the stock

Bendy fore stocks are the reserve of plastics so stick with wood and no bendy bits .

As for alloy receivers ..................................... that is what they think the buyers want. feather light rifles. But pardon me does not the RWS Titan's bolt lock into the barrel directly? If this is the case then the receiver only really aligns it and is somethign to hang the trigger mech onto. Sauer/Blaser also use alloy receivers to mention just two.

Remington rifles tend to get a bit of slagging off, probably deserved in some cases, just like any other makers,for one reason or another, Remmy's tend to shoot very accurately with home reloads, (from my own experiences) so much so that I even went to the lengths of purchasing back from a dealers, the current .223 in Mrs Finnbear's cabinet, I had it on my cert for foxing & it would out shoot many other's offerings, at the ranges, just a bit of a back breaker to lug round all night!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

In my opinion the VLS is the best price vs performance Remmy out the box.
    Or buy a SPS and replace the stock.
    A good friend of mine tested the Titan with match barrel. He likes the rifle but
    is fitting an aftermarket barrel as he says the original is not as accurate as expected. Also 223.
    I'd go remmy or consider a T3???
    edi

I use a rem 700 PSS in .223 and with reloads it shoots 1 hole groups at 100yds
    Comes fitted in a H&S stock with bedding block, trigger is great too (even though i fitted a timney )
    Pic in my gallery

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

+1 with with DazT

I have the same Rifle and stock ect, and mine is very accurate with home load's also.

ATB
    Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I use a titan 6 .243 and just bought a titan 3 22.250 now looking at getting a titan 6 6.5 x 55
    meopta 7x50 scopes does the biz for me.Shot a .223 Rem 700 sps ripped the bull to pieces with 10 shots but far to heavy for me
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks

Keep your eye out for a remington model 7. Shorter and lighter action than the 700.
    I have two both easily out shoot the range you want to shoot