Which Remington 700 in .223?

RickoShay

Hi everyone

I have an as yet unfilled slot for a .223

Have been looking at the second hand Remington 700 market and also the RWS Titan 3.

I like the look of the XCR, but think that a tuned VSF will be as accurate and am not sure what to make of a SPS.
Mid-range accuracy is everything to me 200-300m, but would like to keep the budget sub £700 if possible. The rifle will be used for Fox in the main.

The Titan 3 is an alternative choice but the aluminium receiver is putting me off as well as reports of bendy fore-end.

Any ideas/experience most welcome.

Cheers

Hi everyone

I have an as yet unfilled slot for a .223

Have been looking at the second hand Remington 700 market and also the RWS Titan 3.

I like the look of the XCR, but think that a tuned VSF will be as accurate and am not sure what to make of a SPS.
Mid-range accuracy is everything to me 200-300m, but would like to keep the budget sub £700 if possible. The rifle will be used for Fox in the main.

The Titan 3 is an alternative choice but the aluminium receiver is putting me off as well as reports of bendy fore-end.

Any ideas/experience most welcome.

Cheers

I have shot quite a few Remington 700's and think there are better factory rifles in that price range the tikka t3,Browning x-bolt and also the howa 1500, but if in the future you want to modify your rifle there are more upgrades for the 700 but if you get a decent rifle you shouldn't need to upgrade any parts apart from the stock

Bendy fore stocks are the reserve of plastics so stick with wood and no bendy bits ;).

As for alloy receivers ..................................... that is what they think the buyers want. feather light rifles. But pardon me does not the RWS Titan's bolt lock into the barrel directly? If this is the case then the receiver only really aligns it and is somethign to hang the trigger mech onto. Sauer/Blaser also use alloy receivers to mention just two.

Remington rifles tend to get a bit of slagging off, probably deserved in some cases, just like any other makers,for one reason or another, Remmy's tend to shoot very accurately with home reloads, (from my own experiences) so much so that I even went to the lengths of purchasing back from a dealers, the current .223 in Mrs Finnbear's cabinet, I had it on my cert for foxing & it would out shoot many other's offerings, at the ranges, just a bit of a back breaker to lug round all night!

In my opinion the VLS is the best price vs performance Remmy out the box.
Or buy a SPS and replace the stock.
A good friend of mine tested the Titan with match barrel. He likes the rifle but
is fitting an aftermarket barrel as he says the original is not as accurate as expected. Also 223.
I'd go remmy or consider a T3???
edi

I use a rem 700 PSS in .223 and with reloads it shoots 1 hole groups at 100yds :)
Comes fitted in a H&S stock with bedding block, trigger is great too (even though i fitted a timney :D )
Pic in my gallery ;)

Daz

+1 with with DazT

I have the same Rifle and stock ect, and mine is very accurate with home load's also.

ATB
Wullie.

I use a titan 6 .243 and just bought a titan 3 22.250 now looking at getting a titan 6 6.5 x 55
meopta 7x50 scopes does the biz for me.Shot a .223 Rem 700 sps ripped the bull to pieces with 10 shots but far to heavy for me

Keep your eye out for a remington model 7. Shorter and lighter action than the 700.
I have two both easily out shoot the range you want to shoot

ABR: Anything but a Remington.

My Tikka T-3 is a very accurate rifle... despite the fact that I sold it last month!~Muir

Is anyone going to mention one of the critical factors re. 223 Remington - i.e. the rifling twist rate?

IF you can go for something that is faster than the industry norm of 1:12 - the Rem Police models have 1:9 rifling, so they are better at stabilising the longer bullets...otherwise most bullets over 55gn are going to be inaccurate

Is anyone going to mention one of the critical factors re. 223 Remington - i.e. the rifling twist rate?

IF you can go for something that is faster than the industry norm of 1:12 - the Rem Police models have 1:9 rifling, so they are better at stabilising the longer bullets...otherwise most bullets over 55gn are going to be inaccurate
55 grain is more than adequate for his requirements re Fox, & I seem to be having trouble with your inbox Saddler!:lol:, Steve.

It's interesting that the vast majority or Remington owners are very happy with their rifles, and consistently talk about how accurate they are, yet non owners are always telling others not to buy one !

If the Remington rifles are so bad, why are the majority of owners happy, and not all cuing up to sell them ?

Yes they are cheap, yes the synthetic stocks are average at best, and the triggers aren't the smoothest available, but they consistently perform as well as anything else out there, costing quite a bit more.

I have a Sako 85 stainless laminate, and love it. I've also got several Remingtons, and love them too. Ok I've fitted a Jewel trigger to them, but they all shoot very accurately, and are reliable. I don't doubt that some people have had issues with them, any more than some people will have had issues with most of the other brands out there. However, I'd love someone to be able to put it into perspective, and let us know what the issues represent as a % of rifles sold ? Because I suspect that Remington have more rifles out there than many of the other manufacturers put together, and this is why they appear to have more issues ???

Just found some results from one US survey taken in 2011 from just under 42,000 shooters. http://www.remington.com/pages/news...es/2012/Corporate/RemingtonNamedTopBrand.aspx It suggests that of the people who took the survey, 16% of them bought Remington rifles. Given the number of brands available in the US, I suspect 16% takes the highest share. I have no idea how accurate the survey is, just that it's an indication.

Mark.

i have a sps an a vssf semi custom, great little tools, and i havent had any trouble with mine to date, also very accurate an gets the job done, what more could i ask for :lol: :lol:

You haven't repaired enough Remingtons.:lol:~Muir

Muir,

Please can you tell me just what problems you see with the Remingtons ? The action is probably the most copied by the custom manufacturers like Borden, etc', when they have the option to make anything they want, so just what are the issues ?

Mark.

Muir,

Please can you tell me just what problems you see with the Remingtons ? The action is probably the most copied by the custom manufacturers like Borden, etc', when they have the option to make anything they want, so just what are the issues ?

Mark.

I think the triggers are the biggest problem hence why most people replace them where as the Howa or the tikka trigger especially is a cracker and compares to many aftermarket triggers I've shot so it's then an extra £100 ish to replace the trigger on the remmy, also some of the actions I've tried are not as smooth as the tikka or howa I've tried so with all this in mind thats why i would reccommend the tikka or howa over the remmy,but these are my own findings others may disagree of course......

Back