Thread: Harrell's premium powder measure

Harrell's premium powder measure

Had a problem with this powder measure, it was really poor at throwing a consistent charge of SR4759 (a long stick powder).
    Thought it might have something to do with the 'static electricity problem' they allude to in the instruction sheet.
    Earth bonding done (thanks bruv for the static discharge kit) and no difference seen with thrown charges.

The problem actually was powder bridging in the mouth of the supplied drop tubes, there is a solution -
    dump the cheapo Harrell's tubes and fit a Possum Hollow drop tube set.
    Now it throws consistent charges without any bridging problems!

It just makes me wonder about a 'premium' manufacturer who -
    1, finishes their product with a real cheap 'n' nasty drop tube.
    2, does not have an e-mail address.

I would have expected much more from a company supplying a 'premium' measure at a premium price.

As an aside, I also understand a little more about gun-writers who wax lyrical about products like this but fail to mention the real world
    limitations.

My Possum Hollow adapter;
    (You can see the yellow static discharge wire to the left of the measure above the monitor)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropTubeModSmall.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	18775

I have used a similar set-up on my Seeley Masker for years. You're 100% right. It's a superior arrangement. The frank truth about volumetric powder measures is that few are better than their peers. The only one I have found truly superior is the Belding and Mull due to it's intermediate powder chamber that takes the weight of the powder column out of the equation.~Muir

Was throwing charges for my '06 0.05grain of H414. So tenth of grain error, not bad for 150 of - .1 would be perfectly acceptable.
    The Harrell's has a baffle of sorts so that the full weight of the powder column does not affect the metering chamber too much.
    It suits my reloading method. Must admit that I would not have bought it at full price.
    It will work on my portable reloading bench that will fit in the back of the truck.

That's pretty accurate. If you were geting that kind of consistency, why were you weighing them? I was setting my Seeley the last time I used it and half a dozen consecutive charges came out within a tenth so I set it and stopped checking. Are you weighing digitally?

The baffles are important and I make them for all of my measures. It is why I like the B&M; always the same amount of powder over the metering chamber no matter how much is in the hopper.~Muir

Only checking weights for personal satisfaction to see the repeatability of the measure, will be the last time I check like that!
    Was checking with my BEL analytical balance and a dial'o'grain...

Yeah. Once you get them dropping in the dam-near-zero-error range it begins to be a waste of time!~Muir

Yep, I do not get too OCD about charge weights but want reasonable repeatability, now I know how it throws with that particular powder I will not really need to re-visit that test!

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    Had a problem with this powder measure, it was really poor at throwing a consistent charge of SR4759 (a long stick powder).
    Thought it might have something to do with the 'static electricity problem' they allude to in the instruction sheet.
    Earth bonding done (thanks bruv for the static discharge kit) and no difference seen with thrown charges.

The problem actually was powder bridging in the mouth of the supplied drop tubes, there is a solution -
    dump the cheapo Harrell's tubes and fit a Possum Hollow drop tube set.
    Now it throws consistent charges without any bridging problems!

It just makes me wonder about a 'premium' manufacturer who -
    1, finishes their product with a real cheap 'n' nasty drop tube.
    2, does not have an e-mail address.

I would have expected much more from a company supplying a 'premium' measure at a premium price.

As an aside, I also understand a little more about gun-writers who wax lyrical about products like this but fail to mention the real world
    limitations.

My Possum Hollow adapter;
    (You can see the yellow static discharge wire to the left of the measure above the monitor)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DropTubeModSmall.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	18775
    Great post.

Thanks.