what a stunning morning......

deerstalker.308

Well, I managed to overcome the urge to hit the snooze button, and got out this morning after reds.
I was sat in the high seat by 5am and to my left in the field adjacent to me were a few hinds with calves, the field is now stubble and the bales are currently still stacked in the middle of the field. As the sun rose, more and more hinds with calves arrived, milling all over the field, upwards of 50, when I noticed a game had developed amongst the youngest of calves.
They were playing hide and seek around the hay stack, it was magical to watch, there were 5 or 6 taking part, one running round the bales and then sneaking up on its unsuspecting mate and vice-versa. It was like watching puppies playing, and there were even the deer equivalents of 'wall of death' running about like lunatics you would expect from puppies, fan bloody tastic!
There were a couple of young stags in the party, however, due to the antics of these calves they earned a reprieve, I didn't want to spoil the fun.
Drew a blank in the end, but who cares, seeing things like this is sometimes far more rewarding!

I had the SamE problem when watching a roe buck and doe ealier this week , even though the rut has finished they were just sat up under a hedge together feeding . Sometimes I think you do need to respect the animals you hunt to really enjoy the sport .

Well, I managed to overcome the urge to hit the snooze button, and got out this morning after reds.
I was sat in the high seat by 5am and to my left in the field adjacent to me were a few hinds with calves, the field is now stubble and the bales are currently still stacked in the middle of the field. As the sun rose, more and more hinds with calves arrived, milling all over the field, upwards of 50, when I noticed a game had developed amongst the youngest of calves.
They were playing hide and seek around the hay stack, it was magical to watch, there were 5 or 6 taking part, one running round the bales and then sneaking up on its unsuspecting mate and vice-versa. It was like watching puppies playing, and there were even the deer equivalents of 'wall of death' running about like lunatics you would expect from puppies, fan bloody tastic!
There were a couple of young stags in the party, however, due to the antics of these calves they earned a reprieve, I didn't want to spoil the fun.
Drew a blank in the end, but who cares, seeing things like this is sometimes far more rewarding!

Great stuff, as you say, who cares, it isnt all about pulling the trigger, I go to the range to do that, but being out and witnessing nature must be the ultimate stalking experience. The Doe with young late June, the young buck being chased off by the boss, hares in march. Thanks for putting your picture in my mind.

Back