Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case stuck in resizing die, advice.

Case stuck in resizing die, advice.

Other than you should have lubed better !

The lip at the primer end of the case has sheared and the case is well and truly stuck in a Hornady Lock'n'Load resizing die.

Is there anything I can do other than feel embarrassed and slightly annoyed?

<<< EDIT >>>

I have just done a better search on here and found the drill, tap, screw and pull solution, thanks to all. N
    Last edited by neil_r; 02-09-2012 at 17:20.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Can you reach the bottle neck using a soft drift, brass / copper?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I have just done a better search on here and found the drill, tap, screw and pull solution, thanks to all. N

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

If you can get the de-cap rod out, it's possible to put a rod in and a sharp tap with a hammer will probably do it. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    If you can get the de-cap rod out, it's possible to put a rod in and a sharp tap with a hammer will probably do it. ATB
    Have you ever done it this way?~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Have you ever done it this way?~Muir
    I have never got a case stuck, but removing the de-cap/expander rod would be my first thought.
    Is there a reason for not doing this ?

Neil.

Been there. I think Muir is getting at the fact that its nigh on impossible to get the expander rod out once stuck.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Been there. I think Muir is getting at the fact that its nigh on impossible to get the expander rod out once stuck.
    unless you are using lee dies its not possible without damaging the decapping rod assembly.

been there done it and hope i don't go there again.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

yup. Getting the expander ball past the neck is impossible. With lee and some hornady dies you can loosen the collet/nut that holds the rod and attempt to drive the case out that way. Any dies with a threaded expander/decapper rod are best drilled, tapped and the case drawn out.

That advice has been floating around since I was a kid. No idea why it hasn't died it's due death.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    unless you are using lee dies its not possible without damaging the decapping rod assembly.

been there done it and hope i don't go there again.

bob.

Was in this spot for the first time a couple of weeks ago with Forster dies.. Luckily I had the Forster stuck case remover which makes light work of removing the decapping assembly, then you just hammer the case out using the punch included in the kit..