Thread: First Set Of Sticks

First Set Of Sticks

Hi all! After a while of looking around for a resonably priced set of sticks, and without much luck, I decided to make my own. Im not a fan of these telescopic tripod stlye ones, I just thought simple is just less to go wrong!

Using two bits of hazel cut from a thatchers wood, they have turned out very well! Iv noticed that many people use different techniques for making them and different types of wood. Any tips on what works well in the long run and how to make wooden sticks last longer??
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    Hi all! After a while of looking around for a resonably priced set of sticks, and without much luck, I decided to make my own. Im not a fan of these telescopic tripod stlye ones, I just thought simple is just less to go wrong!

Using two bits of hazel cut from a thatchers wood, they have turned out very well! Iv noticed that many people use different techniques for making them and different types of wood. Any tips on what works well in the long run and how to make wooden sticks last longer??
    I use 2 plastic coated garden stakes from b@q. These are held together with a piece of inner tube, the sticks are inserted from opposite ends then twisted so they are both the correct way. I then added foam to the top and taped it up to protect the stock.

I should also say Ive a hardwood pole at the mates which we are going to split length ways secure with a nut and bolt so they can be opened and closed.

Nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 02-09-2012 at 12:45.

A good friend of mine uses a 2 pronged roe antler secured with epoxy onto a hazel and shoots of that , I've never used it but he swears by it and if he ever forgets it he won't shoot ! Lucky omen perhaps . I always use the telescopic tripod and haven't had any problems , but they can be fiddley

I use bushwear bipod sticks . only problem is corrison in lowest legs.

This is all I do to mine.............

Nuttyspaniel, I have a friend who also uses the B&Q cane thing, seems to work pretty well for him. I was just after a really natural stick set up but I might look at making a set of these too and do a comparision!

re"M"ington, is that an innertube over the top of the sticks? Iv just left mine bare atm, have you experimented wiith an other covering device for the top?
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Nuttyspaniel, I have a friend who also uses the B&Q cane thing, seems to work pretty well for him. I was just after a really natural stick set up but I might look at making a set of these too and do a comparision!

re"M"ington, is that an innertube over the top of the sticks? Iv just left mine bare atm, have you experimented wiith an other covering device for the top?
    This is what my mate has on his

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NON-SLIP-3...#ht_3222wt_866

Hi Charlie,yes it is just inner tube,it saves the stock from a lot of wear,and it suits me so haven't tried anything else,if you were thinking of trying something a bit thicker then it won't shut up right,so wouldn't be any good for me

Martin