Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new chap

Another new chap

Hi folks
    introductory post required so here goes...
    The name's Mark and I live near Okehampton in Devon.
    I'm a former Army officer and a reasonable shot with a rifle but only professionally, if you know what I mean...
    Plenty of 12-bore experience, game and clays.
    I fancy bagging the odd red deer from the field opposite my house to pop in the freezer and have the consent of landowner to do so.
    I have FAC for a .308 (mod, exp ammo etc...) but have not yet bought a rifle.
    I know nothing about deerstalking and I'm here to find out about it.
    Also new to computer forums etc... my children 'do' Facebook and I can't imagine anything worse...
    hope I'm not an old fogey (yet)
    I hope to benefit from this great store of knowledge

Welcome Mark. Lots of us service and ex service personnel on here. Read all the posts and you will soon get to know who knows what they're talking about. There are lots of SME's on here and lots of people who know a little about a lot of subjects. Then you have the others!
    Have you thought about doing DSC1. It will teach you a lot for not a lot. It will also allow you to sell those reds to the game dealer!

Thanks, baguio
    I don't know what DSC1 is (yet) but common sense suggests it may mean Deer Stalking Certificate level 1?
    Sounds like good advice, anyway. How/where do I do it?

Mark you're correct on the name. You will find that the searchwindow (top right) will get you to many of the answers you want answering as they will have been asked before. http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...l-end-of-April
    However someone will probably know of one coming up in your area very soon. 320 is for 4 days. You can study in advance via the book that you will be sent after registering however the trainers are so good these days that they will teach you everything that you need to know plus some during the course. Don't worry about being a total beginner either because 50% on the course I did were new to shooting as such and one had never even fired a gun before. The guys at Sparsholt College got everyone through. The instruction included taking the non/almost non shooters into the indoor range the night before the shooting test to teach them how to shoot. The test will be the easiest part for you though! I should add that the course is very interesting too. Unlike most of the courses that you and I have done at work!

Great stuff. Just the sort of thing I was hoping to be able to find out...thanks, Baguio.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome to the SD............from just over the border,further on down the A30.......

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Welcome Mark. Lots of us service and ex service personnel on here. Read all the posts and you will soon get to know who knows what they're talking about. There are lots of SME's on here and lots of people who know a little about a lot of subjects. Then you have the others!
    Have you thought about doing DSC1. It will teach you a lot for not a lot. It will also allow you to sell those reds to the game dealer!

+1 thats the way to go

welcome to the site. If you have deer that close to you just watch them for a bit they will teach you alot over a short time. And if its the same animals you may well be able to select a paticular beast that may need to be removed. Good luck and happy hunting

Even better in my opinion is find someone to show you the ropes and help you gain Practical stalking experiences ,on the spot training .i guess in the army you have to tick many boxes you may find this type of training a refreshing change from sitting exams .
    regards
    norma