Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs up for Sussex Firearms Licensing Dept

Thumbs up for Sussex Firearms Licensing Dept

Latest variation just went through in just over 8 weeks - I was told it could take up to 12 weeks, so am thoroughly chuffed!

I just wanted to comment that Sussex FLD were thoroughly helpful and professional - I've had my licence a while and have always made the effort to be polite and patient. I have also provided clear reasoning and research for any variation I've requested (in the form of a cover letter and any supporting documentation/permissions/etc). This has come back to me tenfold in the way they respond.

On my application I requested that I retain my licence whilst the paperwork was being processed (as I shoot very regularly and needed my licence to purchase ammo etc), and that I will send it in by next day delivery when the paperwork reaches the top of the pile - they accepted this and I received a phone call from a polite lady asking me for my licence when she was processing my variation... this meant I was only actually without my licence for a week (during which time I carried a photocopy).
    On this subject, what is everyone's interpretation of this law? - mine is that you are not breaking the law by not having the paper part with you (as you would be with a driving licence) - the law states you must have a licence to be in possession of a firearm. i.e. it means you cant buy one without one, or allow it to expire if you still have your firearms.

I'm not a fan of BASC as they generally seem to encourage confrontation between licensing depts and FAC holders/requests, I've also had some pretty shocking advice and comments from them... but I digress...

Thank you Sussex FLD, and I hope that everyone out there on both sides (licensing depts and FAC holders) can take something out of this.

8 weeks is good in the overall scheme of the delays at present but it should take far less. Sussex are very good at licensing but they have a bad rep around deer stalking apps. And on the subject of BASC and confrontation where's your evidence or do you work for Sussex police?

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    On this subject, what is everyone's interpretation of this law? - mine is that you are not breaking the law by not having the paper part with you (as you would be with a driving licence) - the law states you must have a licence to be in possession of a firearm. i.e. it means you cant buy one without one, or allow it to expire if you still have your firearms.
    My understanding was that when the law says "possess an fac" it does not mean you physically have to have it in your hand. They mean "have been granted" - so you do not technically even have to even carry a photocopy with you when out shooting. But if you get stopped by a copper unfamiliar with the law then you may end up wasting a lot of your time proving him wrong!

Bunnydoom if you mean confrontation, you mean asking the police to carry out there job on time and in the correct manner then the more BASC do the better, 8 weeks for what, you already have a licence for a centre fire rifle, changing the calibre you want, should just be printing a ticket with it on, there are no checks required. So do I think this is good service NO.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Bunnydoom if you mean confrontation, you mean asking the police to carry out there job on time and in the correct manner then the more BASC do the better, 8 weeks for what, you already have a licence for a centre fire rifle, changing the calibre you want, should just be printing a ticket with it on, there are no checks required. So do I think this is good service NO.
    I would agree with your reply Taff. BD why bring up basc in your op??? It seems strange you start by praising your force then ask a question then seemingly try and open a door for a basc bash!!

Nutty

Mr Perring - no I don't work for the police. Sussex did indeed have some funny ideas in previous years, but my understanding is they recently had a member of their team attend a DSC1 with Jelen in order to see what we're all about. Can't beat that in terms of proactive attitude. As for attitude, the "BASC fights police over..." are surely indicative of the relationship between the two authorities? I will spend some time researching advice I've received personally, as well as element of your website and attributed articles and come back to you.

Hi Taff - although I agree with you in principle, the reality is these departments are seriously under resourced so unfortunately i think this results in an element of "getting to the top of the pile". The depts themselves can't be blamed completely for this element - some are awful from what you guys say, but I feel Sussex do very well with what is a very poor system.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    I would agree with your reply Taff. BD why bring up basc in your op??? It seems strange you start by praising your force then ask a question then seemingly try and open a door for a basc bash!!

Nutty
    Hi Nutty, still smarting from a comment they made to be honest - so yes I concede it was churlish to mention them in this post...

Happy to let sleeping dogs lie on the BASC front, and will post the info discussed in a relevant thread.

Hi Nutty, still smarting from a comment they made to be honest - so yes I concede it was churlish to mention them in this post...

Happy to let sleeping dogs lie on the BASC front, and will post the info discussed in a relevant thread.
    Ok Bd to be honest thats what I kind of thought.

Back on topic. You have stated in you post prior to the post Ive quoted. "getting to the top" I also believe that is the way. However a variation or a 1 4 1 should be turned round quicker than 8 weeks. Could the fire-arms dept's be slowing things down on purpose???? Here in central scotland it will be at least 8 weeks before the FLO even calls to arrange a visit for a new application!!!! The 1st time I applied for my own ticket it took about 8 weeks start to finnish that would be about 7 years ago.

Nutty

When I got my first ticket ( when men were men and sheep were frightened) it took less than a month and there were a lot more licence holders then, BD I have not forgot about getting you out on some stalks, I have been earning browny points on some new ground by hauling corn and doing cultivation work on my days off, it's got high seats for does later on.

Mr Perring - no I don't work for the police. Sussex did indeed have some funny ideas in previous years, but my understanding is they recently had a member of their team attend a DSC1 with Jelen.
    In BASC's opinion police staff doing dsc1 is only for one thing ie to use it against applicants and catch novices out on things like carcass handling, nasal botfly infestation and other matters which have nothing to do with the licensing requirement.

If anybody thinks Sussex are sane in requiring all cert holders to shoot deer from high seats but not foxes using the same calibre then They might as well join the misguided animal welfare brigade and ask government for compulsory testing legislation which BASC is fundamentally apposed to. Safe handling is what's its about and stalking ethics are the preserve of the private sector not licensing departments.