Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essex police behaviour

Essex police behaviour

Essex police have come up with a gem of a form for renewal applicants to complete. I'll post the actual form tmw,

BASCs advice is not to fill it out and report to them any demands or overzealous behaviour from police staff made in order to obtain compliance. BASC has raised this silly and pointless form with the chief constable's office. You are under no obligation legally to sign this paper nor do the police have a right to refuse to renew in the circumstances described. Illegal possession at home or outside the house is identical and the police should renew on time and not resort to creating more work, let alone inconvenience shooters this way.

The form says;

"I agree that upon expiry of my certificate/s I will ensure the firearms/shotguns in my possession remain locked within my agreed security arrangements until I am in receipt of a current certificate. I am aware that if I remove them my renewal application may be refused."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SKMBT_C36012082215390.pdf  
    Last edited by mperring; 03-09-2012 at 08:37.

On the plus side, Essex have always been (for me, others may disagree) prompt and efficient. Should be no problem in my opinion as long as renewal is applied for in good time. As an example it took 7 weeks for my initial grant of fac and turnaround for a variation seems to be around a week.

Well done BASC this is the thin end of the wedge

how about you write a caveat at the bottom that they have to agree to:
    "
    "We Essex Police agree to pay a penalty charge of 100 per day for every day a license holder is without a valid certificate due to slow renewal on our part"

WTF!

Whichever Einstein in Essex Police thought that one up should be sacked.

What do they think they are doing by making threats such as "I am aware that if I remove them my renewal application may be refused." ?

Do they think for a minute that the form will remove their responsibility to either renew on time or issue a S.7 Permit, or does it just magic away the fact that the FAC holder will be in unlawful possession of firearms?

The more I see of this type of thing, plus the failure of many forces to adhere to the HO Guidance and ACPO advisories, (with some notable exceptions), the more I think it's overdue for HM Inspectorate of Constabulary to take a serious look at the police (mal)administration of the Firearms Acts and Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    WTF!

Whichever Einstein in Essex Police thought that one up should be sacked.

What do they think they are doing by making threats such as "I am aware that if I remove them my renewal application may be refused." ?

Do they think for a minute that the form will remove their responsibility to either renew on time or issue a S.7 Permit, or does it just magic away the fact that the FAC holder will be in unlawful possession of firearms?

The more I see of this type of thing, plus the failure of many forces to adhere to the HO Guidance and ACPO advisories, (with some notable exceptions), the more I think it's overdue for HM Inspectorate of Constabulary to take a serious look at the police (mal)administration of the Firearms Acts and Rules.
    The report into exactly this sort of thing by HM Inspectorate of Constabulary resulted in them suggesting that the licencing system SHOULD be taken away from the police

Just goes to show their (police) total inability to understand firearms law. I should think this form should it be used would make great evidence in a court.

Essex police have agreed to remove the form from circulation due to my complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by mperring View Post
    Essex police have agreed to remove the form from circulation due to my complaint.

Well done Matt/BASC!!!

Good work. We need more of this. I'm all for regulation of firearms, but not for a police state. They do good work but like many large organisations sometimes lose sight of their role. Hope they responded in a positive way?