Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra sonic cleaning, brass dis-colouring?

Ultra sonic cleaning, brass dis-colouring?

Hi guys,

I use ultrasonic cleaning when preparing my brass, I use the common white vinegar, warm water 2-3x cycles then a cycle using bicarbonate soda to naturalize the acidity of the vinegar, then I give them a good rinse under running water.

However guys my brass ends up stained and very darkly discolored........can anyone advise as to how to avoid this, am I not using enough Bicarbonate soda to naturalize the acidity of the vinegar at the end of cleaning????

Thanks in advance guys

Steve.
    Last edited by 247sniper; 03-09-2012 at 11:31.

just squeeze a lime into warm water and whizz through a couple of times, I dont even rinse them, just dry.
    just did 200 .222 cases to good effect

Lets be clear here, you are not trying to neutralise the entire bath of vinegar with bicarbonate? They need to come out of the vinegar, rinsed, then into water with bicarbonate added. In fact if they are rinsed well, the bicarbonate shouldn't be needed, but certainly better if you have some. 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water is fine and don't leave them in there for longer than neccesary. The discolouration is not a good sign, not sure of the technical terms, think it is the copper or zinc being withdrawn from the brass. My experience for what its worth:

1) No matter how many cycles, the pockets and necks will stay dirty. Give them a quick clean prior to the ultrasonic, scotchbrite on neck, pocket cleaner in the pocket. After which one cycle should be suffificient. Speeds process dramatically.

2) They don't need to be ultrasonic'd in bicarbonate. Just have the solution in a jug and decant them from the bath.

3) If you are air drying, flick the water out from the cases, blow in the primer pocket and dry the outside surfaces on a towel. Otherwise you'll get some corrosion where the cases are staying wet for too long. Flash hole can easily get blocked with this.

The discolouration on the brass you have or any discolouration for that matter will not go with the ultrasonic. If it's bad or you don't like the look of it, use the scotchbrite by hand all over the case.

Stop faffin about with all the remedies you see on the web. Buy the proper stuff from Hornaday sonic cleaner cleans inside and out spotless and despite what gmart says primer pockets spotless too. Just rinse with water after. Cleans in minutes and dilutes four to one possibly more can't remember right now and not at home.

Hi

After perusing the Cast Boolits Forum I use Citric Acid (food grade lemon juice) in a weak hot water mix. Also passivates the brass surface to minimise corrosion. Clean water rinse and air dry - finished. Brass is shiny but not 'brassoed' so.

Carbon in the primer pocket needs loosening first time but easier thereafter. Using solution in an Ultrasonic Cleaner (UC) should be more efficient.

I understand that some commercial UC additive may well have this citric acid in.

L
    Last edited by Loki; 03-09-2012 at 18:43. Reason: spelling

I just went back to using SeaClean again, I did try Citric Acid and others, but brass ended up discoloured.
    I cleaned my discoloured brass up in the washing machine, all in a mesh bag, 30 minute 90 degree cycle with non bio powder.
    The brass came out bright and shiny, not going to make a habit of it, but it certainly works.

Neil.

I just went back to using SeaClean

Whats sea clean Neil ?
    Steve.

Great stuff thanks guys.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    I just went back to using SeaClean again, I did try Citric Acid and others, but brass ended up discoloured.
    I cleaned my discoloured brass up in the washing machine, all in a mesh bag, 30 minute 90 degree cycle with non bio powder.
    The brass came out bright and shiny, not going to make a habit of it, but it certainly works.

Neil.
    Hi Neil
    Its nice to hear good thing about Seaclean i manufacture it for James Products

Funny i clean all my brass with it
    Mark
    Last edited by markws80; 04-09-2012 at 08:57.