spotted red deer

swatty

was out stalking last night and i shot a nice 8 point red stag which had a fair amount of white spots on him its the first ive seen with spots has any body come across this before thanks swatty ill try and post pictures later not that you can really see the spots as pictures were taken in the dark back at larder

i was thinking along them lines problem is there shouldnt be any sika round my parts but there is talk of odd ones getting close

spottyhind.png
[/IMG]
This was a hind i shot in Mull last year (no sika on Mull), the spots were mainly on her hind quarters, she was an older hind, as you can see the one on my right is a calf and it had no spots.

Moose

Last edited:
I think it's likely just normal red variation ,seen similar a couple of times, it's like some of the spots from juvenile coat has just continued to show. A bit like seeing really dark hinds or pale coated deer. I hope the pic was taken from the ATV or you would of worked up a sweat dragging that haul home!

most likely a bit of muntie maybe a bit of cwd as well i coidy scots stalker dont worry just my mate and his funny sense of humour i dont think he believes i heard a sika whistle a couple of years ago on the ground were i took this stag i carnt upload pictures which is a shame a spots were in horizontal lines right across the rib cage and down the flanks

spots were in horizontal lines right across the rib cage and down the flanks

That is sounding more like a red/sika hybrid the more you describe it. I can't obviously speak for your area, but where I am I've never seen a mature(ish) red with anything other than faint spots on a late summer coat.

Might tie in, (or confirm to the doubters ;)), with your hearing a sika on the ground before?

brian,if its definately not a muntie then the only way to be sure is send the skull off for a gene test, laurie walton at thirlmere had a suspect red a couple of years ago,I never found out what the outcome was though.

i was a bit to quick off the mark as i cut head and had it boiled out by end of play monday to be perfectly honest it looked all red in everything but the spots it does seem a bit funny that i heard what im sure was a sika around the same time as id guess this beast was concieved and it was whilst i was watching the reds rut i heard it . it weighed 154 lbs larder weight not that helps much but it was narrow in the head antler wise

Back