Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught Poachers Tonight

Caught Poachers Tonight

I do a fair bit of cycling and one of my routes takes me through some of my stalking ground.

On the way home tonight I see 3 guys coming across one of my fields with a lurcher off the lead. They knew I was giving them a good look and to be honest the brakes on the bike were going on. Then for once in my life I got a grip of the temper and thought that 3 of them could quite easily make up a story that could land me in the s**t or worse the A&E. One of them was busy with something on the ground but I could not make out what it was but suspect a hare. Not any rabbits there but also a good number of deer. Their car was parked up in the entrance to forestry that borders this field. I got a note of the reg and gave the police a call.

I know it's a local registered keeper and no doubt I will run into him at some point soon. Just a pity I had not been out with one of my mates in the car at the time...

deer being taken with dogs made the local press down here a few weeks back and I know the wildlife crime officer well so no doubt I will be having a chat with him, and he is a good bloke...

I was quite surprised how brazen they were about it though, still daylight although starting to fade, car in full view and no attempt to hide what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I do a fair bit of cycling and one of my routes takes me through some of my stalking ground.

On the way home tonight I see 3 guys coming across one of my fields with a lurcher off the lead. They knew I was giving them a good look and to be honest the brakes on the bike were going on. Then for once in my life I got a grip of the temper and thought that 3 of them could quite easily make up a story that could land me in the s**t or worse the A&E. One of them was busy with something on the ground but I could not make out what it was but suspect a hare. Not any rabbits there but also a good number of deer. Their car was parked up in the entrance to forestry that borders this field. I got a note of the reg and gave the police a call.

I know it's a local registered keeper and no doubt I will run into him at some point soon. Just a pity I had not been out with one of my mates in the car at the time...

deer being taken with dogs made the local press down here a few weeks back and I know the wildlife crime officer well so no doubt I will be having a chat with him, and he is a good bloke...

I was quite surprised how brazen they were about it though, still daylight although starting to fade, car in full view and no attempt to hide what they were doing.
    Brass necked gits. Hope they didnt have any flat tyres....

Nutty

i hope you get the tw**s not nice but confronting them on your own wouldnt work you did the right thing, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Did you not possibly see a weapon? And then call 999.... I am not suggesting you waste police time, but if you thought you saw a weapon it would be your civic responsibility to inform the Police and let the b*****ds explain their tresspassing prescence to the police......

It must of taken everything inside to stop yourself from confronting them, definitely did the right thing, A+E sucks!

Just a tip - don't tell the police you have seen a weapon - unless you have actually seen one. Plod may be sat around the corner but with the mention of a weapon will not be aloud to attend. It will be down to the armed response unit - there are a lot fewer of them and may be miles away.
    Wingy

Taking a dog for a walk across a field is not an offence, it don't take a genius to figure out what they were up to but proving it could be difficult.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

yeh, good call. Keep your distance and get their details

I spoke to a chap who approached poachers with his smartphone video camera on, he had some app which allowed him to stream the video directly to his site or other online place, not sure where. he approaches poachers, etc. with it saying, look, this video is being streamed directly online, if you act in any agressive manner you will be charged with assault. he would/will video them in their actions, then watch the walk off, and send the footage over to the local constabulary.

the purpose of streaming it is that the perps cannot just knock your phone out of your hand and destroy the evidence, it's recorded elsewhere, they're screwed no matter what, and if they get aggressive, it'll just get them time in jail.

takes balls of titanium to do, but sure as flies on ****e gets them off your ground.

PKL,

Live streaming to a remote location is a great idea, there look to be a few applications out there for both Android and iPhone, even letting you stream direct to a Facebook or Twitter account with GPS location!

The following site looks promising:

* How To Stream Live Video From Your Smartphone

The other important bit, having had the balls to confront the suspected poachers (or whatever) is that the phone app shouldn't offer the ability to delete the video that you have broadcast.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else finds any apps that could be used like this.

We had poachers a few years ago during the foot and mouth outbreak, we didnt catch them but we did catch one of their dogs! Lots of blood around the chest and muzzle from taking rabbits! Our Headkeeper pointed out he wasnt stpid and knew they had been taking deer, this was backed up.by the two carcasses he found the next day.
    I was the Rifle that night with the Underkeeper and that dog was very close to.loosing its life.
    Weve also had the Discovery rear window shot out with a catapult, we had a terrier in the back at the time which was subsequently stolen from the kennels by travellers.
    I have no time for either poachers or travellers.