Killing beavers may be necessary in future, SNH report says

You will not believe this. I had my first beaver stew last Sunday evening it was served with mashed potatoes and a wonderfull sauce made from the rendered down bones, it tasted very much like the roe deer meals my missus makes for me normally but was somehow a little different in texture but hard to define what it was, I scoffed down 3 platefulls and have had no ill effects.
It was all legal and above board as these reintroductions (not in the UK I may add) have to be very discreetly controlled (not by me before you ask, I was just gifted some grub) due to the damage they are causing to the trees along the riverbanks.
I have also seen it vacuum packed in supermarkets in Sweden when I was there in 1999.
Incoming, now where is my tin hat?
martin

Was there much hostility to the control of swamp beavers in the Norfolk Broads, back in the 70's and 80's?

I seem to remember them being classed as destructive, nuisance, vermin and I believe they successfully waged a ten year, £2 million, erradication programme/war on them... and the obvious difference between coypu and the common beaver is mainly in the shape of their tails... isn't it?

I call this "tailist", ironic and slightly mad.

You will not believe this. I had my first beaver stew last Sunday evening it was served with mashed potatoes and a wonderfull sauce made from the rendered down bones, it tasted very much like the roe deer meals my missus makes for me normally but was somehow a little different in texture but hard to define what it was, I scoffed down 3 platefulls and have had no ill effects.
It was all legal and above board as these reintroductions (not in the UK I may add) have to be very discreetly controlled (not by me before you ask, I was just gifted some grub) due to the damage they are causing to the trees along the riverbanks.
I have also seen it vacuum packed in supermarkets in Sweden when I was there in 1999.
Incoming, now where is my tin hat?
martin
I love to eat beaver but have never been offered it on a plate:D

Busards, Badgers, foxs, deer and beaver are at the top of the food chain, i have always expected the numbers of beaver to soon swell.
The motor car would be there bigest enemy.
I am sure we will all see them expanding in the next 10, 20 years

Busards, Badgers, foxs, deer and beaver are at the top of the food chain, i have always expected the numbers of beaver to soon swell.
The motor car would be there bigest enemy.
I am sure we will all see them expanding in the next 10, 20 years

How will the car be their enemy? I have only ever seen them at the banks of streams, never on the fields next to the streams, all the nutrition they need seems to come from the waterside and they have always been very shy when I turned up to the high seat which is next to their nest in my area. "what is the word for it"? a burrow sounds wrong to me?
I used to see beaver a lot when I was younger and always wanted to eat it but - yup first time it was served to me on a plate, maybe my missus as she is long past the change of life felt sorry for me of late (she is not computer literate - fank gaud fer dat)
Martin

How will the car be their enemy? I have only ever seen them at the banks of streams, never on the fields next to the streams, all the nutrition they need seems to come from the waterside and they have always been very shy when I turned up to the high seat which is next to their nest in my area. "what is the word for it"? a burrow sounds wrong to me?

It's called a lodge. ;)

As for the motor car being their main enemy, well.......................................

View attachment 18891

Back