Thread: .22 shotgun with a telescopic sight ???

.22 shotgun with a telescopic sight ???

would it be ilegal to mount a scope on a smoothbore .22 in england ,still using shotshells ?
    my father would like to know who does a bit of pest control and thinks it could help with shooting rats and feral pigeons.
    thanks for any advice

No problem - 100% legal - the restriction would be if he decided to use .22 rifle cartridges instead of shotshell ammo

I sometimes use scopes on my 12-bore shotguns - he'd be best looking at a red-dot type of scope or one of the dedicated Burris shotgun scopes - though he may have issues with mounting it depending on the dovetail size that his .22 is fitted with

That said he may be better off with a 12ft-lb air rifle

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    the restriction would be if he decided to use .22 rifle cartridges instead of shotshell ammo
    The practical restriction is clear, but what do you think the restriction would be in law?

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    That said he may be better off with a 12ft-lb air rifle
    Although it wasn't the question, I was wondering that too.

technically if he had allowance for the .22lr ammo and a rifle to use them in already then would he be breaking the law by firing them down his smoothbore barrel?

I can fire .22lr round down my .22WMR barrel and .17M2 down my .17HMR barrel if I was so inclined, not sure there is any law stopping me (foolish but cant think of any transgression)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    technically if he had allowance for the .22lr ammo and a rifle to use them in already then would he be breaking the law by firing them down his smoothbore barrel?
    That's what I was wondering. Not a sensible or useful thing to do, IMO: but if the .22LR ball ammunition was lawfully held, would its use in the .22LR shotgun be unlawful?
    For comparison, 12bore slug cartridges held on a FAC fired from a 12bore shotgun held on a SGC.

Interesting.

My FAC is conditioned for example: Ammo "A" to be used in gun(s) "1, 2 & 3" for the purpose of "target shooting"

The conditioning of the ammo for specific tasks in named guns -to me - would mean that IF I chose to use Ammo "A" in a SG that is not listed on my FAC then I would be in breach of the FAC conditions, surely?

really ?
    mine doesnt
    only ammunition reference is under "8A" section details

no link between conditions and specific ammo.

you under L&B?