.22 shotgun with a telescopic sight ???

conibear

would it be ilegal to mount a scope on a smoothbore .22 in england ,still using shotshells ?
my father would like to know who does a bit of pest control and thinks it could help with shooting rats and feral pigeons.
thanks for any advice

No problem - 100% legal - the restriction would be if he decided to use .22 rifle cartridges instead of shotshell ammo

I sometimes use scopes on my 12-bore shotguns - he'd be best looking at a red-dot type of scope or one of the dedicated Burris shotgun scopes - though he may have issues with mounting it depending on the dovetail size that his .22 is fitted with

That said he may be better off with a 12ft-lb air rifle

technically if he had allowance for the .22lr ammo and a rifle to use them in already then would he be breaking the law by firing them down his smoothbore barrel?

I can fire .22lr round down my .22WMR barrel and .17M2 down my .17HMR barrel if I was so inclined, not sure there is any law stopping me (foolish but cant think of any transgression)

technically if he had allowance for the .22lr ammo and a rifle to use them in already then would he be breaking the law by firing them down his smoothbore barrel?

That's what I was wondering. Not a sensible or useful thing to do, IMO: but if the .22LR ball ammunition was lawfully held, would its use in the .22LR shotgun be unlawful?
For comparison, 12bore slug cartridges held on a FAC fired from a 12bore shotgun held on a SGC.

Interesting.

My FAC is conditioned for example: Ammo "A" to be used in gun(s) "1, 2 & 3" for the purpose of "target shooting"

The conditioning of the ammo for specific tasks in named guns -to me - would mean that IF I chose to use Ammo "A" in a SG that is not listed on my FAC then I would be in breach of the FAC conditions, surely?

really ?
mine doesnt
only ammunition reference is under "8A" section details

no link between conditions and specific ammo.

you under L&B?

Back