why is the 7mm rem mag not so popular over hear

This might sound daft, but I think some people are turned off by the belted case. One bloke who looked at a round from mine turned his nose up and then muttered something about it being old fashioned.

[...]Then of course we have the fact that the Belted cases is more modern in design dating from about 1912 than the rimless case which dates to around 1888.
;) like it! Are you also one of those that thinks of the 'modern' 7mm WSM as essentially a necked down .50 WCF from 1887, albeit with a 35 degree shoulder an no rim...?!

;) like it! Are you also one of those that thinks of the 'modern' 7mm WSM as essentially a necked down .50 WCF from 1887, albeit with a 35 degree shoulder an no rim...?!

Ahhh nope as I don't even think about the 7mm WSM and have never really considered the .50 WCF. In fact i would have to look up what it looks like.

The only WSM cartridge that I would consider is the .325 WSM. That is a personal thought/opinion only of course same as I can see no benefit to the 7-08 over the 7x57 and as I own two rifles chambered in 7x57 there really is no point in my having a 7-08.

A lot of modern cases are in fact based upon the Mauser case. America even paid royalties on it's design for the 30-03 and 30-06. They also paid royalties on the Springfield 03 rifle as it was heavily Mauser based.

Brithunter quote "Some people even go as far as having the rifle set up so it head spaces on the shoulder like a rim less case.

Then of course we have the fact that the Belted cases is more modern in design dating from about 1912 than the rimless case which dates to around 1888.

Just goes to show that a lot of shooters know next to nothing about ammunition and it's design."[/QUOTE]

Kevin absolutely and the belt is only needed on the first firing and then you can just bump the shoulder back like any other case therefore not headspacing from the belt. If you measure a piece of virgin brass compared to a headspace gauge then you would be very surprised in terms of how shorter it is. That being the misconception of the belted case.

Last edited:
It offers NOTHING except one less round in the magazine and potential feeding problems associated with ON THE 7mm R M AS DESIGNED a totally pointless and unecessary belt. A legacy of AN OLD FASHIONED American idea that a cartridge wasn't a true "Magnum" unless it was a "Belted Magnum".

Here in Britain we were shooting the 7mm Remington Magnum a half century before the Americans AND in three different styles.

Belted, Semi-Rimmed and Rimless. It's just that we called them 275 Holland and Holland, 280 Ross and 280 Jeffery.

All with a lot more style than the 7mm Remington Magnum. A cartridge that, in real terms, actually offered no real advantage over Remington's excellent 280 Remington of 1957.

It would be, the 7mm Remington Magnum, a lot better if it had been a straight copy of Holland's 275 or in fact the whole "nine yards" and Weatherbyised to be a 7mm Weatherby Magnum.

Last edited:
It offers NOTHING except one less round in the magazine and potential feeding problems associated with ON THE 7mm R M AS DESIGNED a totally pointless and unecessary belt. A legacy of AN OLD FASHIONED American idea that a cartridge wasn't a true "Magnum" unless it was a "Belted Magnum".

Here in Britain we were shooting the 7mm Remington Magnum a half century before the Americans AND in three different styles.

Belted, Semi-Rimmed and Rimless. It's just that we called them 275 Holland and Holland, 280 Ross and 280 Jeffery.

All with a lot more style than the 7mm Remington Magnum. A cartridge that, in real terms, actually offered no real advantage over Remington's excellent 280 Remington of 1957.

It would be, the 7mm Remington Magnum, a lot better if it had been a straight copy of Holland's 275 or in fact the whole "nine yards" and Weatherbyised to be a 7mm Weatherby Magnum.

It's all just what the public will buy. The magnum belt is just a worthless hold over that was regenerated by Weatherby. Like short magnums, it was just something different and they sold it -as did Winchester. Shooters forget that all these guys want to do is sell you ammo for one of their rifles. They would make the least efficient, ridiculous cartridge imaginable if they could convince you to buy it. ~Muir

It's all just what the public will buy. The magnum belt is just a worthless hold over that was regenerated by Weatherby. Like short magnums, it was just something different and they sold it -as did Winchester. Shooters forget that all these guys want to do is sell you ammo for one of their rifles. They would make the least efficient, ridiculous cartridge imaginable if they could convince you to buy it. ~Muir

Agreed Muir but if you were wanting a magnum 7mm would you go for the 7WSM or the Rem Mag as both therefore fall into the marketing hype category? If we assume the Ultra's were not on the menu.

I think the Americans are quite like us in the fact we ignore things from otehr places them claim we discovered/developed it. A case in point I was reading Dehass Bolt Action Rifles and came across the Savage model 1920 of which I knew nothing about until last night. it was built as Savages first bolt action for the 250-3000 which they still claim was the first commercial cartridge to break the 3,000 fps barrier.

Of course this is a lie as the 280 Ross exceeded it in 1907 and by 1910 witht eh improved model 1910 Ross velocity of the 140 grain 0.287" bullet was 3140 fps. Without looking them up I do not kow off hand the velocities produced or claimed for the other .280 cartridges of the time. The Ross operated at a much elevated pressure level with proof pressure of 28 Tons. the 270 Winchester and 7mm Rem Mag proof pressure was 19 and20 Tons.

After my 30+ years of using my 7mm Rem,I have no complaints,if you want to use her on vermin load her up with lightweight hollow points for around 3300fps or more and at the other end of the scale you can run 175 gr pills or heavier and of course there is always in between! those Barnes @ 140 gr`s,they really sing too.

Blokes that own and use them keep them because they truly are a great calibre with the diversified range of low weight to high weight pills and the speed to go with them...never mind the belt,its the pill that kills!

Mine has stacked up a few of these blokes over the years,this bloke is not even mature as yet.Of course a 7 mm rem mag is not 'needed' as such but by gee she home rules them!

eaca7ced.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed Muir but if you were wanting a magnum 7mm would you go for the 7WSM or the Rem Mag as both therefore fall into the marketing hype category? If we assume the Ultra's were not on the menu.

Neither or none. I'd shoot a 280 Remington (or 7mm Remington Express as it was once called.) Take a good look at the ballistics. When you start talking about 140 grain bullet at 3000 fps from a 280 and the same bullet at 3100 from a 7mm Rem Mag (but using 10% more powder to do it) it becomes an easy choice. For me at least.~Muir

I've shot 175's at 2600 fps from a 24" tube. I think that would kill a deer or elk. One of the outstanding features/attributes is that I have built several of these rifles for customers and every one had told me that finding a really superb load in any bullet weight was easy. It is a good balance between bore capacity and case capacity, and a darned elegant looking round, too boot.~Muir

Well these are 175 Grn bullets in the 280 Rem and .280 AI:-

PC080085.jpg

I cannot say how the AI performed as I was just starting to work with it before the troubles so it's only fired a few rounds to fire form brass. The Rounded bullet is a Factory Remington 175 Grn Express load the more pointed bullet is also from Remington but on of their 175 Grn Bulk buy bullets from Midway USA.

ok lads i use a 7mm rem mag love the caliber gun etc now i think its a great gun caliber for every thing in uk. fast flat hits very hard on deer fox at close and far distances recoil minimal dont listen to every thing on the internet lots of heads for it loads of reloading data loved by the good old usa so why the lack of popularitey over hear i think every one should have one so why not so popular over hear thanks

I think one of the reasons is that it's over HME limit for a lot of ranges to it's a pain to use at the likes of Bisley.
Containing the word Magnum makes FEO's allergic.

In reality, it's not miles from a .30-06 in terms of output but is still civilised compared to the .300 Win Mag.

I remember zeroing a Finnlight in 7mm REM Mag for an RFD friend a few years ago.....careful bore sight....two shots....adjust.....one to confirm adjustments....hand back to RFD and decide not to buy one.

A bit much gun for Munty and Fox I think and with my PB on Munty at 14 yards I think a Rem Mag would kill it and cook it.

Horses for courses though and ideal for plains game in SA I should think.

Rob

Brithunter quote "Some people even go as far as having the rifle set up so it head spaces on the shoulder like a rim less case.

Then of course we have the fact that the Belted cases is more modern in design dating from about 1912 than the rimless case which dates to around 1888.

Just goes to show that a lot of shooters know next to nothing about ammunition and it's design."

Kevin absolutely and the belt is only needed on the first firing and then you can just bump the shoulder back like any other case therefore not headspacing from the belt. If you measure a piece of virgin brass compared to a headspace gauge then you would be very surprised in terms of how shorter it is. That being the misconception of the belted case.[/QUOTE]

When I was at Trinidad State College (Ackley's old stomping ground) the head metal-work instructor was retired from the US Army where he was the barrel man for their competition team. They were using 300 Win Mag then. HE showed me filing cabinets full of 30 shot, machine rest groups from 300 yards that were an inch diameter ragged hole. Aside from the specifics of the loads and components, the biggest single contributing factor to accuracy was to chamber the rifle to headspace from the shoulder, and not the belt. The armorers ignored the belt. Interestingly, it was also found that minimum dimensioned chambers didn't shoot as well as those in the middle to long range of acceptable tolerance of headspace. You'd think it wouldn't be so but they spent a boat load of tax-payer's money conducting experiments to prove it.~Muir

Upon my return to New Zealand - I'm going to buy a T3 7mm mag to accommodate my T3 7/08.

Bigger critters to shoot back home, and generally at longer distances - which is where the 7mm mag comes into it's own.

Upon my return to New Zealand - I'm going to buy a T3 7mm mag to accommodate my T3 7/08.

Bigger critters to shoot back home, and generally at longer distances - which is where the 7mm mag comes into it's own.
you tube long shot shooter 7mm rem mag you will love it bud never had a deer or fox complane it was not hit hard enughf

From what I've observed from posts on this forum if it is representative of UK deer hunting the 7 mm mag will never get a big following. If you take a shot at a deer over 250 m your "unethitical", a lot of blokes load their rifles back 2-300 fps below max velocities and worry about meat damage. If you don't want to practice enough to be confident of making a 350+ m shot on deer, if you don't want to load to full velocities then stay away from the 7mm mag. If you worry about replacing a barrel, try lawn bowls. A .308 or 7/08 seems to more than cater for most stalkers needs in the uk.

Given some of the big valleys and hills i have seen in scotland i think a few guys could have a lot of fun with a big 7mm mag on the reds there.

From my experiences loading the 7 mm mag, and the .280, what ever you can do with the .280 you can do it easier and safer with the 7 mm mag.

Back