England Forestry stalking leases

jb7x57

Has anyone got one of the leases that forestry commission England advertised earlier this year would be interested to know how people got on looked a lot of hoops to jump through

Too small and most had very little deer impact according to the paperwork, or at least the ones in the SE stated this. Plus I decided that after the last comedy act with the FC I would not bother with them and stick to private leases.

Hi jb,
Yep, We had a punt on the Shobden Wood (Herefordshire) bit. got as far as the interview but didn't get it.

Well done and good look to the lads who did by the way.

JD

i got as far as formal interview and have levels 1+2 /approved witness/range officer and 45 years of stalking.Ive been told i failed to come to correct standards I was the only candidate to get this far and still lost.Have just spoke to Head wildlife manager and here are a few reasons.When doing carcase inspection i should have said the correct science name for lymph glands,knowing where they are and what to look for was not good enough.Next if you had a problem with your controller a formal discipline procedure was needed(2 verbal and 1 written would have done)shooting together for 30 years and trusting nothing would go wrong not good enough.Next how often do you have your rifle serviced?correct answer was head space,trigger pressure,saftey catch check,daily sound moderator checks should be done,this is general maintance done every time its used not a service.Next was range test carried out by someone with no formal range certificates,various faults recorded of which none mentioned on day the most serious being chambering a round with no backstop,was a bit difficult as backstop was a pile of straw bales.In talks after with manager the woods have not now been let as have most of the others as nobody was deemed good enough.Am i being cynical or was it a very good ploy to prove costs could not be cut and only forest rangers are capable of doing a good job

Last edited:
j d w did you ask for feed back like redstag01 seems to have done would be intresting to see if he is right and nobody got them

Hi jb,
Yes we did, but the manager was on holiday and we've had nothing back as yet.

I was very interested with what RS1 had to say, mmm!

If I find out any more I shall keep you posted!!

Thanks for bringing this up.

JDW

would advise everone who applied to ask for feedback and maybe the truth may come out,head forester was back from holiday monday 10th

I think your reading too much in to this guys

A very good friend of mine went for two leases and got them both
and no it wasnt down to money or knowing anybody in the system
he just went in with a good plan passed all the tests and interview and knew his onions regards pete .

I think your reading too much in to this guys

A very good friend of mine went for two leases and got them both
and no it wasnt down to money or knowing anybody in the system
he just went in with a good plan passed all the tests and interview and knew his onions regards pete .

Can your very good friend let us in on some secrets

Jwd. Did you get any feed back interesting to know

Hi jb,
Actualy I was only one of the named controlers in our bid. My mate was up for the lease holder I hope to see him this weekend, I'll ask.

I must just say though, if a gang of lads did get a lease (or two) well done and the very best to you.

JDW

We were in on one of the leases and had a heads up it was ours. We attended the meeting and past the shooting test. But inside the lease conditions in very small writing was the wording that explained the entire lease was not ours and that only 20 (10 Roe bucks 10 Fallow Bucks) were to be shot between 1st April and the end of October.

Needless to say as I have the estate bordering the north of the 700 odd acre block and also land to the south which bordereds their car park I was well aware of the potential cull that needed to be achieved and to then find that the bid we had put in would work out at over £100 per deer was a non starter for me!

We were asked at the interview how much we would be prepared to pay and I told them even a grand would be an insult to us. They did not let the block, as I understand it the forester still maintains it, even though he lives over an hour away, and the Fallow doe cull they had in place was about 40 beasts a year. Which with the numbers present is scratching the surface.

So that is my experience of the FC, not impressed. Oh during the interview we asked about other species of deer being present. We were told that Muntjac were thought to be in the wood but none had been taken. I asked about any other species and was told there were not any others present. I then told them a client of mine ha shot a Manchurian Sika that winter in the wood opposite. The response was that any other species would have mean contacting the FC first before shooting :eek::eek: yeah right at 4.00am in the morning.

I am not saying that it is like this every time with the FC, but I was not impressed at all with my first, and possibly only time of working with them.

Will be signing off now as I am packing to go away with clients.

Back