Is it a requirement

JoeH

Sorry to be ignorant, I'm looking at registering for an upcoming DSC1, I'm a relative newcomer, done a few stalks etc and occasionally go ouit with a pal of mine for experience, (he also works on a deer farm so I've helped a few times with the butchery etc).
Basically my dilema is that I currently have no permission for stalking (plenty for bunnies but not deer) and after playing with the .22 for a while I want to get going on the 243 now and get onto some permission.
So chicken and egg scenario - I want to get my first 243 (friend holding onto a Sako 75 for when i want it), need some permission and want to get started (going on my own). Will I actually need the DSC1 on my journey to achieve this?? Is it something I might need for a syndicate? And if so would you reccomend purchasing gun first? What order etc.

As above, pls excuse my ignorance and be gentle with me please. Thanks in advance

Joe

Your licensing bureau will advise you of their policy requirements which you have to satisfy to have the authority to acquire a deer cal rifle.

If you can get it in writing so much the better. A phone call to your FEO may not elicit the correct info.

To shoot a rifle you need land over which you have permission to shoot, farm land, pay per stalk land or a range.

If you friend lives in the same county what did he do?

Your licensing bureau may issue the authority to acquire a deer cal rifle on first application with no prior experience or they may require that you do DSC1. It varies from county to county and can be a bugbear of inconsistencies.

Thanks Jack, I have the rifle liscence with deer cal already, suppose i was thinking morew about the DSC1 for further experience. My pal has level2 as the farm he's at wanted it i believe and his view is that it may be a neccessity in the future. My thoughts were more - do i now get the rifle or the certificate first and would syndicates, and some permissions perhaps require it?
Thanks again
Joe

My advice is to book for your Level 1. It is usually a requirement from most constabularies before putting deer as a quarry species on your FAC. It is also required by most if not all syndicates, and especially FC or other major landowners. It also shows commitment but does not mean you are a stalker.

I am also of the mind that eventually the authorities will make it a perminant fixture and a requirement. And when they do the price will go up and so will the amount of people applying to get Level one will be a long one.

Good luck

Brill, cheers guys. Would you know if you normally need a rifle before going on DSC1 or do they provide etc? As said, i have deer cal on my cert so I'll get the rifle at some point. As with most people, struggling to source land etc and think a syndicate might be the way forward which is why i'm thinking the Leve1 might be ideal to get a foot in the door

Brill, cheers guys. Would you know if you normally need a rifle before going on DSC1 or do they provide etc? As said, i have deer cal on my cert so I'll get the rifle at some point. As with most people, struggling to source land etc and think a syndicate might be the way forward which is why i'm thinking the Leve1 might be ideal to get a foot in the door

have you thought of joining the B D S you then can do your DSL1 with them and would be able to use a rifle from them Just a thought .you also meet other stalkers who are learning the trade as well DJC

Hi JoeH

I was in exactly your position in January!
Now I have FAC,DSC1,rifle,some good contacts and stalking thanks to this forum.
You probably have loads of queries so if youd like a chat one evening then PM me and Ill send my number.

Joe,
Do the DSC1 for the simple reasons that you will learn a huge amount and it gives an excellent theoretical, and some practical, foundation to your future stalking. In my opinion, there is nothing negative in doing the DSC1, irrespective of whether it is considered necessary now or may be in the future.
V

I agree the the DSC1 is the way to go not for the police not for your .243 but for you. Would drive with out reading the highway code yes !! would you be a better driver if you read it and followed its guide lines most certainly.

Hi JoeH,

If you do not have a rilfe you can usually use the estate rifle facility but that would depend on who you do the course with.

Good luck and go for it.

Best regards.

Jon.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looking at getting booked up now. Just missed out on one in Shrewsbury with the BDS, not far from me, spokme to them but we agreed it would be cutting it fine. BASC will be doing one in Rugely, Staffordshire - bout 50mins from here in November so I'll look to get onto that.
Thanks Again
Joe

joe apply for the dsc1 course and you will get the handbook and have plenty of time to study it between now and november as there is a lot to read in there
atb tom

hi, i hold my hands up i hardly knew owt about deer when i did my dsc1, but because of that i studied like mad for my own piece of mind and came top of class lol. yes it does not make me a deer stalker but learnt a hell of alot about deer i dint know about. not only did i read the manual, i got dvd's, books and learnt as much as i could. i,m still buying books and dvd's now as there is always more too learn and pick up.
i,m in a syndicate but do 2 or 3 payed stalks a year and what you learn from pro stalkers is great, i,ve been with 6 different pro stalkers and learnt something different from each of them.
stav

DSC1 Passed, cheers guys, learnt loads and the course was really well run in a great location.
Now time to get some experience.

I recommend you go through the mill doing this:

1. Do the DSC1 course
2. Book 5+ paid-for Stalks with professional stalkers and keep a record of their contact details, dates, etc
3. Obtain permission to shoot deer on some land (this is the hard bit)
4. Apply for a FAC for a .243W with a deer condition

In many, but not all, counties you'll need 1,2 and 3 before you get 4.

Alternatively it is perfectly reasonable to go for just one weekend paid-for guided stalking p.a. and buy your own rifle for that.
You then don't need the DSC1 or your own land and you have sufficient 'good reason' to buy a rifle.

I recommend you go through the mill doing this:

1. Do the DSC1 course
2. Book 5+ paid-for Stalks with professional stalkers and keep a record of their contact details, dates, etc
3. Obtain permission to shoot deer on some land (this is the hard bit)
4. Apply for a FAC for a .243W with a deer condition

In many, but not all, counties you'll need 1,2 and 3 before you get 4.

Alternatively it is perfectly reasonable to go for just one weekend paid-for guided stalking p.a. and buy your own rifle for that.
You then don't need the DSC1 or your own land and you have sufficient 'good reason' to buy a rifle.

I may be being stupid, but I don't quite follow your logic? Your two options seem contradictory.

There is no reason whatsoever to have your own permission in order to obtain a FAC with a deer condition. If there was, my guess is most recreational stalkers in the UK would not be in possession of a FAC! JoeH's DSC1 (congratulations Joe, by the way) and evidence of paid/booked stalking - again, neither of which are mandatory - should suffice.

In addition I'd recommend applying for "Any Other Lawful Quarry", rather than a deer-specific condition. If your constabulary will approve it, it makes life much easier.

willie_gunn

Back