Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Meat Diet

Raw Meat Diet

I posted a thread a few months ago in which I said my dog was very fussy regarding food. I tried many many different types of feed , many I later found out were very lacking where a dogs needs and health were concerned. I have now found that my pup loves raw meat which is great as her reward at the end of her trails is often raw deer. Michelle has found alot of info. regarding this subject so I have copied and pasted what she kindly sent me, hope it is of use to some.

-
    BARF (Bones and Raw Food) and RMB (Raw Meat and Bones) BARF includes a high portion of dairy, vegetables and fruit. RMB does not. You can add some vegetables if you want but is not key part of dogs / wolves natural diet.
    - The ratio you need to feed is 80% meat muscle, 10% bone and 10% organ. Liver is critical and MUST be fed but in VERY small portions as it is so rich. Too much bone causes constipation. Heart is regarded as muscle so can be fed as meat but in small portions as again is very rich.
    - Dogs should be fed 2% to 3% of their ADULT body weight per day. Based on Pipers current weight, she will weight 6kg as an adult. So she should be eating 360g of RMB per day.
    - It is easier to plan your meals for over a week. To calculate the 80:10:10 rule every day is very difficult. So for example, today she might just get a chicken breast with very little bone, tomorrow it might be a chicken neck or deer ribs which are mostly bone and very little meat, next day it might be some large chunks of meat she has to chew and pull and tear to eat.
    - Keep ground mince to a minimum as has no benefit to teeth. Tearing, ripping, crunching, chewing is the aim.
    - Include raw fish (as part of meat allowance) each week. If you canít get raw fish then tinned fish like mackerel, sardines, and tuna is acceptable. Fresh fish should be frozen for a few weeks before feeding to kill off any potential diseases or bacteria. Defrost and feed as normal.
    - Liver must be fed at least once a week. Piper would need 126g per week of liver and 126g of other organs.
    - Stomach contents not regarded as acceptable as would not be eaten in the wild. Green tripe is acceptable in small portions only.
    - When feeding bones, must be chewable and in large portions ie. Donít give Piper a small piece of chicken including the bone. This can cause blockages.

Her weeks food would look like this.

2kg of meat (chicken, turkey, rabbit, lamb, venison, fish, heart, beef ribs only, pork ribs only) As much variety as possible.
    210g of bone
    126g of liver
    126g other organ (kidneys, lung) Not heart !

If you want to read up on this then here are some websites.

http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

If you feel this is too difficult to maintain, then I suggest feeding the ground raw food that I was hopefully delivered today that is portioned following the 80:10:10 rule and is totally raw meat. You can then skip some of her meals and feed her a few ribs or some chicken wings. Staple diet should not be chicken necks as very high bone density so be careful in giving her those.

It's all ******** by the way.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It's all ******** by the way.
    Haha. I agree but I would love a bit of elaboration as i have a mate who swears BARF is the only way forward. I feed my boys Beta working dog and they get raw meat and bone occasionally when I have leftovers or after I have butchered a carcass. They are pretty healthy dogs I would say. One tip I have noticed. If I have given them a bit too much bone and they get bunged up I feed them a bit of milk, that seems to even things up.

[QUOTE=Apache;434720]It's all ******** by the way.[/QUOTE

Ok , if thats the case would you care to elaborate?.... and if you read my original post I posted this to help others who might have a dog that doesnt 'get on' with certain foods and of course each to their own. All I know is my dog now eats every scrap of food in her bowl and seems better in herself, stools firmer and no foul smells when picking them up, if it is as you suggest then I have a wee puppy doesnt agree. Maybe I should get her to read your reply and let her be the judge

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by chickenman; 06-09-2012 at 06:55.

Hi Chickenman
    good thread-i,m not a dog owner- but you have given me info that I can pass on to others who are ,thank you

[QUOTE=chickenman;434758]
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    It's all ******** by the way.[/QUOTE

Ok , if thats the case would you care to elaborate?.... and if you read my original post I posted this to help others who might have a dog that doesnt 'get on' with certain foods and of course each to their own. All I know is my dog now eats every scrap of food in her bowl and seems better in herself, stools firmer and no foul smells when picking them up, if it is as you suggest then I have a wee puppy doesnt agree. Maybe I should get her to read your reply and let her be the judge

Regards

Pete

Is it that she won't eat other foods or they make her Ill? If they just won't eat it I just leave it in the bowl until they do, they soon get hungry enough. It doesn't really matter how much ******** it is as long as you get on with it and your dog is healthy, I think what Apache was getting at is that there are some exponents of the BARF/ raw meat diets that consider it to be the be all and end all and anyone who feeds anything else is a fool. You haven't hinted at that here at all though and no doubt your post will be helpful to others.

I have done alot of research of both BARF and RMB. I would tell anybody who wants to change their diet for themselves personally or their dog / cat, to use their own judgement and to do what they feel is right.

Dogs share 99.6% of their DNA with the Grey Wolf. They have the same anatomy which includes teeth perfected for meat & bone (their mouths don't have flat teeth like herbivores do) They also have a short gut so the time it takes from something to enter their mouth and exit the other end is quite swift.

Commercial dog food is well documented to be incredibly unhealthy for your animals. Do you have any idea what they put in it ? It also includes loads of additives and high sugar levels. Not anything you would want to eat, let alone your pet.

Wolves have survived for millions of years hunting their prey & eating raw meat & bones. Considering they have never gone extinct, I can only safely assume they are eating a healthy balanced diet. I have never seen a wolf boiling a kettle to eat rice and potatoes and neither have I seen them having a bbq to cook their meat ! So before anybody readily dismisses a raw diet for their animals, consider that.

There is some excellent resources on the internet for those of you who are interested. Many people have said how much healthier and happier their pets are after they have changed to a raw diet including allergies miraculously gone, healthy glossy coats, thicker coats and white shiny teeth.

A few good websites are as follows :-

http://www.professorshouse.com/Pets/...f-Raw-Feeding/

You can also download an app for you iphone called RAW DOG that calculates the exact amounts you should be feeding your dog per day based on its weight.

Whilst I am no expert on RMB "prey model" feeding, if anybody has questions, I would be happy to advise where I can.

I'm looking forward to starting this journey Piper and learning along the way. All I know is that she is happier when we feed her a raw diet. She loves deer ribs and deer neck and plan to add some bunnies to her diet this weekend.

Simple question perhaps but this seems a good place to ask it.

I've recently started feeding rabbits to the dog. I just put the rabbit whole in the bowl and let her get on with it. She's not droppped dead yet but is there any problem with fur, guts etc?

*sigh*

There seem a group of people out there very militant that dog food is a mass conspiracy to make dogs ill. It is not. It is all well and good saying how many genes dogs share with wolves, but what is the average life expectancy of a wolf? I bet it is a lot less than a domestic dog. I seem to remember once reading that we share 60% of our genes with a tomato, but think it's unlikely I'm going to start photosynthesising and thriving on tomato food.

Dogs are living a lot longer and a lot healthier than they ever have done before and one of the main drivers is the diet the dogs are eating. Dog foods are increasing in quality and are balanced for all the nutritional needs that your dog has, there is a lot of money spent on this. You will not produce a perfectly balanced diet feeding raw food.

If you buy cheap food it will be made of lower quality ingredients - obviously. You can feed the dog a home-made diet but be aware that you are putting it at a much greater risk of various infections (salmonella, campylobacter) and the possibility of picking up things like tapeworm cysts. You also will never achieve the correct balance of nutrients.

Let some one else do the hard work and buy a decent quality dog food. I genuinely believe it is best for the dog (a few 'treats' every now and again will do no harm). If I was feeding poultry/pork/rabbit to my dog I would make sure it was thoroughly cooked first.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by chelle70 View Post
    I have done alot of research of both BARF and RMB. I would tell anybody who wants to change their diet for themselves personally or their dog / cat, to use their own judgement and to do what they feel is right.

Dogs share 99.6% of their DNA with the Grey Wolf. They have the same anatomy which includes teeth perfected for meat & bone (their mouths don't have flat teeth like herbivores do) They also have a short gut so the time it takes from something to enter their mouth and exit the other end is quite swift.

Commercial dog food is well documented to be incredibly unhealthy for your animals. Do you have any idea what they put in it ? It also includes loads of additives and high sugar levels. Not anything you would want to eat, let alone your pet.

Wolves have survived for millions of years hunting their prey & eating raw meat & bones. Considering they have never gone extinct, I can only safely assume they are eating a healthy balanced diet. I have never seen a wolf boiling a kettle to eat rice and potatoes and neither have I seen them having a bbq to cook their meat ! So before anybody readily dismisses a raw diet for their animals, consider that.

There is some excellent resources on the internet for those of you who are interested. Many people have said how much healthier and happier their pets are after they have changed to a raw diet including allergies miraculously gone, healthy glossy coats, thicker coats and white shiny teeth.

A few good websites are as follows :-

http://www.professorshouse.com/Pets/...f-Raw-Feeding/

You can also download an app for you iphone called RAW DOG that calculates the exact amounts you should be feeding your dog per day based on its weight.

Whilst I am no expert on RMB "prey model" feeding, if anybody has questions, I would be happy to advise where I can.

I'm looking forward to starting this journey Piper and learning along the way. All I know is that she is happier when we feed her a raw diet. She loves deer ribs and deer neck and plan to add some bunnies to her diet this weekend.
    Chelle70

I don't think (but I am guessing) that the length of the dogs gut will not be the only factor in determining how quickly food is 'processed'. I was always under the impression it took about 10hrs (average, depending on breed) for food to go in one end and out the other but would expect Apache to give a better informed answer to that.

Regardless, what I do know is that I generally have between 4 and 5 dogs in my kennels at any one time. As pups they have always been fed beta Puppy with some Ambrosia Creamed Rice on it until about 6 weeks and as adults normally something like Chudley's Working Crunch. I don't change the diet from working seasons to the next, just adjust the amount they get. On average my dogs live until at least 14 years of age before old age starts to tell me it is their time. They are worked regularly in all weather, have never had to receive medication for long term complaints, illness, bad joints, allergy or whatever. They very rarely have the scoots, their sh*t smells like, well.... sh*t to be honest. They are full of life, energy and vitality. Their eyes shine, their coats gleam and whenever I have had a litter of pups they in turn have turned into cracking (said by others, not me) young dogs themselves. It is very rare in fact for mine to even get scraps left over from in the house as they are all 100% kennel dogs. They get the occasional rawhide chew for their teeth and that is it...

I cannot possibly see how a BARF diet could improve their life or health. All it does is give me more work in preparation and the hassle of storing the food for a pack of dogs.

Edited to add: There was a programme on the TV a few weeks ago, I think it may have been Landward, and they visited a dog food factory. It was like walking into a hospital operating theatre. The main content of the food was turkey. And it was explained that the regulations in governing manufacture of dog food now dictate that it must pass tests that would render it fit for human consumption.

As Apache says, don't scrimp on the quality of the food and there should never be an issue...
    Last edited by jamross65; 06-09-2012 at 15:46.