Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not-quite-that-much-of-a-rip-off Britain?

Not-quite-that-much-of-a-rip-off Britain?

Hello everyone.

There have been a few mentions in various threads about how much more expensive rifles are in the UK than in the US. The US is for just about everything a pretty unique market just by its' size which makes economies of scale possible, and the fact that generally, VAT is very low. It strikes me that a more relevant comparison is with the rest of Europe. With that in mind, and having just taken delivery of the latest edition of Le Chasseur Francais's excellent equipment and guns supplement, which lists all available guns and their prices, I picked three random rifles and compared prices. Seems we don't really get that harsh a deal, considering:

Steyr-Mannlicher Classic fullstock:
    • UK: 1643.99 (SGC)
    • Germany: 2231/1769.64 (AKAH)
    • France: a shade under 3000

Blaser K8 Professional:
    • UK: 2395
    • Germany: 3649/2894.70 (Frankonia)

Browning X-bolt hunter:
    • UK: 841.99 (SGC)
    • Germany: 1185/940

Now I realise that's just a random selection, but maybe other SD members from abroad could tell me whether in their experience, rifles are more expensive in the rest of Europe than on the UK. It doesn't appear that we have such a raw deal after all based on this.

Well some one has to pay for the complete f**k up they have made of the economy .............................................. hence the high prices now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Well some one has to pay for the complete f**k up they have made of the economy .............................................. hence the high prices now.
    they, you mean those who decided not to regulate the b(w)ankers properly, or Bill Clinton for promising every unemployed african american woman in their 60's with 8 children that they should be allowed to have a mortgage?

...or those consumers who thought that there would be no repercussions of stripping out equity from their homes or borrowing loads on credit cards and unsecured debt, borrowing for new furniture, kitchens, bathrooms, holidays, computers, big cars, etc.

we're all at fault here imho...I actually think a lot of consumers should have asked themselves "is all this borrowing power we have not a little too good to be true!" and maybe lived in a bit more moderation. The banks were willing to lend because there was a market, or was there a market because the banks were willing to lend.

chicken/egg..or the regulators fault for allowing banks to do as they please, then in turn ruin the economy, and then require a bailout that will never be repaid...

anyone heard of this before? LOL..

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    But the prices are much higher in Germany than here, and their economy is comparatively peachy. And they actually make rifles in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    But the prices are much higher in Germany than here, and their economy is comparatively peachy. And they actually make rifles in large numbers.

And who was responsible for the single currency etc ............................................. Germany.

In fact when Germany got east Germany back they should ahve been booted out and made to re apply as it was not a totally different country instead they got more control and influence than Hitler ever dreamed of.

I think that European geopolitics may be slightly beyond the scope of this topic. The point is that rifles appear to actually be cheaper here than in France and Germany. Is that also true for other countries both within and outside the Eurozone. Anyone here from Scandinavia, where many of the most popular rifles in the UK come from?

I see vee are knocking the Jarmans again. Zey are only trying to protekt zee euro zone veetch zer grosse britain ist not yet der member of. bitte kom und join uns und have zee same beetching rights vat every jarmain ist saying.
    Vee make hier zer gut Mauser und Sauer waffen und alzo krappy blaser fur beginnerz.
    Martin von greyest jarmany

..hush hush...don't mention the war...

Oh come on, someone must have something to contribute that isn't based on worn-out national stereotypes and is actually grounded in fact.

Bavarianbrit, du hast Heym, Merkel und Krieghoff vergessen!

Quote Originally Posted by pkl View Post
    ..hush hush...don't mention the war...
    i didnt hear you ,what war,