A first timer

Had a old friend of mine that I haven't seen for a few years came to Scotland, we were both attending a Dinner I had asked him if he would or if he could find the time i would get him out stalking the idea was set in his head ,he has never fired a full bore hunting rifle before, i got him out for a shot or two behind the house sorted out the need to know bits IE targets backstops watch and shoot stuff ,loaded up the weapons and allowed him to have a bit of fun .

We got out at home could only find Does and Kids ,trip to Argyll required a blind man could shoot deer up there, got up there a lunch time set up rain came on lol such fun left the vehicle ("yes" Chris I'll cut the trees in the rides pain they are ) ,walked down the rides into a open area stood for a few minutes a group of Deer walked around the corner 12 Hinds and 1 Stag , I had made it clear in the practice where to aim etc he lifted the rifle on to the sticks Ruger .243 stutzen no mod ,the deer moved closer to us I told him there quite happy to fire when he was happy , he removed the safety catch squeezed the trigger and the stag, staggered and dropped to shot, his first word were f##k me I'm shaking like a leaf, my heart is hammering ,congratulations passed and the words thats good you'll need a good strong heart beat to drag this over the heather ,the rest is in the picture nice cull stag and a excellent day had by all he's hooked .

View attachment 18947

Last edited:
Nice one Bob that looks familar that open area. I here the deer are moving well in tinny .Allan was speeking to old frank there not shooting much but seeing plenty.

Its good to see someone got out today.

Ive been warming the sofa since midday. Its a shocker here today.

Tomorrow isnt to be any better either.

Good man, that's what it's all about. I hope you explained the 'if you shoot it you drag it' rule

Always Paul,

First rule, is to think where it is.

Second rule, what time of day is it.

Third rule, is can i get it out myself.

If you cannot forefill these three rules dont pull ther trigger.

Always live by the rules .

Danny will back that up ,he hasnt been back since

exellent writeup ,didnt think you had deer in your neck of the woods,:D:D. he will remember that drag for a long time, atb wayne

exellent writeup ,didnt think you had deer in your neck of the woods,:D:D. he will remember that drag for a long time, atb wayne

wayne its remembering to let another couple out lol keep forgetting .

you know that bit right at the top end of the forest the track is only 100 metres away from there 250 from the farm side of the forest .

i see you took the slip lead off before letting them out then:D . i know the bit you mean i bet he was well chuffed its a great feeling getting your first and certainly an exellent result on difficult ground:rofl:. atb wayne

Well done mate u got a good teacher as well did u enjoy the drag lol yeah them rides are interesting to say the least mate can't see which way the deer run when we let them out lol

Back