Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimny / Shogun Pinin

Jimny / Shogun Pinin

All,

I'm thinking of getting a small, Japanese 4x4 to use as a solo stalking / shooting vehicle. I'll probably "van it up" by taking the back seats out and installing a plastic liner and dog guard. I'm looking for something that's cheap to buy and run, but still reliable. I'll be using it for local trips and the odd trip up to Scotland. Off roading will be round fields and tracks rather than serious mud plugging.

My budget is about 2.5 to 3.5K and I have limited mechanical skills, so that probablyt rules out a full sized 4x4. It would be a third car, so cheapness and economy are very important. I do like Landrovers, but can't afford a decent one and haven't got the time or skills to run an older Defender or Discovery.

I've narrowed it down to a Suzuki Jimny or perhaps a Shogun Pinin. I've researched the Jimny's quite a bit and had a good look round a neighbours one. I think one could suit my purposes. All the bits seem obvious and accessible, so there's a prospect that I might be able to do some routine maintenance myself.

I don't know much about the little Shoguns, but they seem pretty neat.

I'd be greatful for any advice on the two cars mentioned. I know Landrovers have alot of fans and I love em, but they don't suit my needs.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Wouldn't hesitate with Jimny, can't comment on the Pinin although the Daihatsu Terios is fantastic! I've seen those doing sill things and Top gear had one and you wouldn't believe what it did!

I run a Grand Vitara TD as did a few pals, again faultless other than ground clearance!

i have a shogun pinne works fine for me. good off road heater work starts first time dont leak oil nice ride go anyware (all things a land rover cannot offer)

+1 for a Jimny,I've had one as a shooting bus for over 3 years and love it,35mpg, yes they are small but 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and the back has enough room for 3 fallow.
    Check the well in the boot where the jack is kept as this can the only area where rust can be a real problem.
    VV

Quote Originally Posted by vulpes vulpes View Post
    +1 for a Jimny,I've had one as a shooting bus for over 3 years and love it,35mpg, yes they are small but 99.9% of the time I'm by myself and the back has enough room for 3 fallow.
    Check the well in the boot where the jack is kept as this can the only area where rust can be a real problem.
    VV
    Hi All.
    I to have a Jimny great little 4x4 will go anywere.
    All the best Lever Man.

I had a Daihatsu Sportrak a few years a go; great little 4x4. Economical, reliable (I'm no mechanic - I can lift a bonet and tell you "That's an engine", and if it can't be fixed with a BFH, it's time to call in a professional), hi/low box, plenty of room in the back once you've folded the seats for dogs, guns, boots, jackets, etc.

Merlin
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

+1 for the Jimny. Had mine five years or so, great little worker.

Those Jimneys are a damn nuisance ! they get everywhere and it seems someone must be giving them away as nearly everybody in my area has one.
    Nearly everyone I've seen has the back seats removed and either panelled over with plywood or some sort of thick canvas covering the inside and they must be giving springer spaniels or labradors with each one bought as they seem to live in the back of most I've seen.
    They tend to go over ground that most of it's bigger brethren won't go over due to their light weight and Suzukis are pretty reliable these days too.

Jimny
    Small, good mpg, sound vehicles with low maintenance needs.
    Can fit a couple of fallow and all my kit but you cant take a dog and passenger, its one or the other when loaded with kit.

I had the Jimny's predecessor (the Samurai) as a field vehicle in Uganda for 3 years. Never once got it stuck, and used to love skipping past the Landcruisers bogged to the wheel arches...

Absolutely outstanding little jeep. Could take it any where, and run it at a fraction fo the cost of a full size 4x4. It's also pretty fool proof maintenance wise (or at least used to be).

If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have one or two colleagues in SA who have Shoguns, and while comfortable, they seem to be more prone to recurrent minor problems, and bits have a habit of falling off. Not critical bits, it seems - but there appear to be a lot of more or less cosmetic fripperies.

And don't worry about space: with a little ingenuity, we routinely got 3 people, field kit, supplies, spare fuel etc etc into it. A roof rack is critical...