Jimny / Shogun Pinin

The OP mentioned trips to Scotland - He is from the potteries - A long quite uncomfortable drive in a Jimny.
The Pinin, Grand Vitara Terios would be better for that type of drive.

Ian

I drove to Applecross from deepest Worcestershire last September, 11.5 hours with stops for fuel & food, in my last Jimny and had no problems. I will admit that I am looking forward more to the journey in the Grand Vitara though.

Simon

Jimny works pretty well. Kalahari is on his second with little trouble to report from either. He went from N Wales to W Sussex in his for a stalk a few weeks ago.

I reckon they are a good buy all round.

ATB,

Scrummy

Jimny mate, I love mine, and they will go anywhere, and they hold value, and shed loads of bits on ebay, get one you wont regret it mate.

I travel 50 miles to work and back each day no problem also if you have a 3 inch lift and decent mud tyres it saves having to use 4 wheel drive. Only real prob with a jimny is side winds i wouldent use it on motorways in high winds. I brought mine with 14000 miles and its now done 88000 all i have brought are wiper blades 1 new battery and a middle section exhaust

Thanks for your replies on this. There's some great advice.

I like the look of the gralloch rig Tikka 260 - superb.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for your replies on this. There's some great advice.

I like the look of the gralloch rig Tikka 260 - superb.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, the gralloch rig does look superb, but take careful note of the clever use of the space in the rear of the vehicle, I think it would be worth chatting to Tikka .260 to ask where he got that tray and how he modified the rear space of his jimny! It's really clever.

As said before, roof bars are essential, as are some load straps, they make life so much easier when transporting highseats etc. Don't buy aero-bars though, just the plastic covered steel ones are fine. You will not be disappointed in a jap jeep.

Simon

I have some more pics of the interior and of the gantry idea, if anyone is interested I'll gladly post them up.

Got a Jimny and a Xtrail -- when I'm alone, just me mysel' wi nobody wi me I just love the Jimny ! Got the back seats out and an Ikea box in - - just perfect.

JR

Jimny works for me, for all the reasons given above.

IMG_0386.jpg

Now that is impressive :thumb:

I've got a pinin and it's served me well for a few years. Take care to check the wheel arches - they are prone to rust, as is the fuel pipe.

Jimny Modification

I ve had mine for about 5 years now, and did all this right at the start to make it more useful as a one man hunting/shootin/fishin vehicle. As said above it is really only good for one passenger or two at a pinch, plus the dogs of course.

I removed the rear seats, rear seat belts and exposed the floor pan, put back the set attachment bolts in the captive nuts in the floor pan to keep the water out. The floor pan isn't flat, so added a section of about 3x2 to support the new marine ply floor more or less level with the rear inside door sill.

The floor and sides are marine quality ply, (probably overkill), and assembled with Gripfix, adding the stainless steel angle brackets as reinforcement. The whole lot was coated in 2 coats of clear Sadolin.

IMG_0328.jpg

The side panels are additionally fixed to the wheel arches using the original seat fixing bolts. The eye bolts are useful for attaching bungee cords for restraining the shelf and empty trays.

IMG_0329.jpg

I got hold of some smooth 3mm rubber decking from a local chandlers which is not fixed so that it comes out for cleaning the 'box' of blood/ deer and dog hair.

IMG_0330.jpg

The additional shelf , just sits on top of the two sides, held in place by a strip of aluminium angle that traps the leading edge of the shelf. The decking rubber is Thixofixed to the ply shelf, and stops most of the kit from sliding about the place.

IMG_0331.jpg

The black tray is a plasterers mixing tray from B&Q / or wherever , good for 2 roe / 1 fallow , cheap and replaceable anytime. The top tray is good for 2 roe or 1 fallow and usually is full of kit of one kind or another.

IMG_0332.jpg

The gantry is based on 4 roof rack attachment brackets for circular roof rails, and are not easy to find in UK, I got mine from a chum in the USA while on a trip over there. The cross rails are stainless steel bar which fit directly into the brackets and allow the gantry to rotate into the upright position. The actual gantry was drawn up by a 'proper engineer' to take up to 200 kgs load, and fabricated by a local Yacht Repairer in stainless steel tube. The rigging is a set of jib sheet blocks. Restraining wires 3mm, and carabiners complete the rigging, and these were made to measure, again by the Chandler.

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Here it is stowed for travel, 2 small pieces of poly pipe lagging to stop it rattling.

IMG_0166.jpg

The gantry takes about 2 minutes to deploy, and the same to stow it away, I've tested it to take 150 kgs which I think is about the max before the front wheels start to lift, given the cantilever distance needed for a carcass to clear the rear door sill.

Took a bit of time, and of course several quid to do it, but I 'm happy as I can do a suspended gralloch almost anywhere with a minimum of fuss, and the clean carcass slides directly into the tray, without sploshing about in the mud and stuff. It is easy to keep clean as well.

I have considered coating the inside of the box with gel coat to make it waterproof, but decided it was a luxury I didn't need?

Anyway, there it is, and it works for me.

Added to which the Jimny goes just about anywhere with no fuss.

ATB

Peter

Got a Jimny and a Xtrail -- when I'm alone, just me mysel' wi nobody wi me I just love the Jimny ! Got the back seats out and an Ikea box in - - just perfect.

JR
JR, Can you give a little more detail on this Ikea box?, I've been wondering what to source for my Jimny, As a plasterer's bath is no longer an option,:doh: Steve.

Peter,

That is a superb set up - an inspiration to current and aspiring Jimny owners.

I had thought that I might line the back out in some kind of way, probably involving plywood, but that takes it to a whole new level. The double decker bit is brilliant.

The suspended gralloch rig is something else. I've seen set ups that fix to a tow hitch, but these are quite chunky and a bit agricultural. Your system is lightweight and very nicely engineered.

Thank you for taking the time to post the photos. Superb.

Cheers,

Bob

If you can't get a Jimmy then Vitara has to be the next best thing. Mine cost me £750 with FSH and 65k miles. Mine is a v6 auto so thirsty but completly reliable can't fault it.

D

Back