Anyone else not seeing any bucks?

Sprocker101

Struggling at the moment to locate any Roe bucks, plenty of Does and kids galore, is anyone finding the same??
is it a case of the bucks disappearing for a bit after the rut as i have read this happens....?

Cheers

+1 on that mate,you then think things will be good when doe season starts,then they dissappear,thats deer for you ,just good to be out sometime,to get a deer is just a bonus,good luck:)

Always the same after the Rut every year. They need time to rest and recouperate! Plenty of food and rest in the woods and no need to venture out of cover. They will be there somewhere having a well earned rest!
MS

im sure the roe deer get beamed up .like in star trek when they become in season.:rofl:on occasions i have stalked into deer ,brought up rifle and where did deer go.thought it was eyesight playing up as in getting older.but have spoke to other stalkers to hear similar stories.just the nature of the beast:)

Most of them will be in good cover resting after the rut, try finding yourself a spot with good cover, sit and wait, they are there.....

September is never a good time for Roe Bucks in my opinion. The rut is over and the bucks just lay up and become very secretive. If you are very lucky you sometimes get a false rut in September, but its unusual and not to be counted on.

I've seen hardly any this summer - then two walked out on me at last light a couple of evenings ago.

I've been seeing plenty of Bucks, but I'm sure that's because I've not been after them at the time!
I had one come running full tilt to the Foxpro just before dusk last night, it got to the caller (which was on Pheasant distress), did a couple of circuits looking at it then ran off again!

I think September is good to catch up with young bucks you never managed to get in Spring for one reason or another. Now when territorial bucks are resting after the rut yearling and 2yo bucks are easier to get.

I am seeng a few young lads they are starting to show with the does the big lads will be out when the barley cut (we still have spring barley till middle of sep)

Plenty on the golf course I was lamping last night! What's the bet I won't see a single one when I go out stalking tomorrow?

Good to hear I am not the only one - bucks have disappeared from view on my ground in East Perthshire, probably still there but lying low after rutting. Plenty females and youngsters to be watched which is great entertainment!!

Its normal for bucks to rest up after the rut don't expect to see them for a month to six weeks after the rut is finished, yearling bucks should still be showing and it gives you a chance to clean up some of them before the doe's
start.

Same down here however saw a v good buck last night when out foxing, he was on a grass ride next to a wood and block of maize so no chance in the daylight. Have seen does + kids galore this week on the train up and down to Taunton. Still huge ammount of wheat to be combined but better as heck of a lot of grass now cut on the levels.

D

Same up here seeing the odd young buck as you would expect after the rut, but still plenty of does and kids to watch.

No old bucks showing just now, plenty of Does with kids and some young bucks. The cover is very high, hardly any wheat stubbles about here yet which I find is the best draw for them as they usually have more fresh green growth than barley stubbles.

Just as i thought, as long as i'm not the only one!!!
Still is a pleasure to be out there watching the kids and does, seeing plenty of twins around the area too, which is always nice..

Struggling at the moment to locate any Roe bucks, plenty of Does and kids galore, is anyone finding the same??
is it a case of the bucks disappearing for a bit after the rut as i have read this happens....?

Cheers

Very easy way to see lots of Bucks - I saw three very shootable animals last week in the space of five minutes. Two really good bucks and a wee scruffy looking thing that needed culling. Broke the rifle, put my hand in my pocket for a round - nothing there, checked my other pockets - b.......... I had left them in the cabinet along with my knife. I remembered that the phone rang with a client just as I was getting all my kit together (why our US friends can't work out that we work 9 to 5.30 pm GMT or GMT + 1 and not to Eastern Standard time or West coast time and that yes it is inconvenient to take a call at 7pm, 8 pm or 11.30 pm I will never know. Note to self - I must ring them when I start at 8 am. Note to US and Canadian Members on this site - very happy to take a call any time of day re hunting elk, mountain sheep, grouse or a bear particularly if it ends as invite to join you for a hunt!).

Went back out at the weekend with my bullets and knife this time. A very nice buck steped out, and was just assessing him through the binoculars, when a black labrador comes bounding down the field woth owner running after calling him back. Any way I did finally shoot one just at last light - the biltong string in the kitchen is now full!

Back