Sako Optilocks

Eyefor

I recently bought my first Sako and yesterday fitted my scope to it.

I am seriously impressed with the optilock's - especially the correct-sized placky collar that protects the scope from ring marks or scratches.

Why haven't other mount manufacturers adopted this idea?

I recently bought my first Sako and yesterday fitted my scope to it.

I am seriously impressed with the optilock's - especially the correct-sized placky collar that protects the scope from ring marks or scratches.

+1
i have rings and bases on both my T3's

The only thing I would do is put a small drop of 'light' Loctite on the screw that holds the base to the ring, they do come loose. After I did this they have been on there for 3yrs now and haven't moved.

Jonathon

Have to say the rear base came loose after a few shots, on my 6.5 X 55 strip down loctite to the bottom of the screw thread, so far so good.

Not sure they should be the price they are, still good gear though.

Some have Burris for starts, there's also come in off set sizes to allow for added elevation. Optilocks are my mount of choice for Sakos/Tikkas.

ATB

Tahr

I agree. There is nothing special about them.

Beware some of the screws seem to be made of cheese. I've had to drill them out before now.

fully agree 2 of the heads have rung on mine, was it a big job drilling them out and did it damage the mounts. thanks

Quite agree, I think Optilocks are great - you see so many good scopes with horrid ring marks on the tube that seriously detracts from their value. I also use Burris Signature rings and the different size plastic ring inserts supplied are great for centering a scope if necessary - personally I would now never use anything else other than Optilocks or Burris.

although why someone hasnt cottoned on to the idea of receiver specific dovetail bases I do not know.

some of the designs of the bases (as opposed to rings) are beyond reason IMO

I just had to resort to some Millet "claw" style rings which are shocking

Have to say the rear base came loose after a few shots, on my 6.5 X 55 strip down loctite to the bottom of the screw thread, so far so good.

Not sure they should be the price they are, still good gear though.

You could try the Sako Optilock 'Ring mount' design which are one piece, thus doing away with the alignment screw issue between the two piece ring and base design. They are also lighter, and are low enough to mount 50+mm scopes as low as possible to give good cheek weld to the stock.
They're cheaper too!

http://www.sako.fi/optilockproducts.php?ringmounts

Back